Best Pool decking

I have concrete with a cool deck coating and in the hot Las Vegas sun it makes a huge difference over my paver patio on bare feet - as in I can walk on it without literally burning my feet. If you get a lot of sun where you are, i'd consider surface temperature in your selection too

I selected artistic pavers because they were supposedly cooler than normal pavers and less slippery and cheaper than travertine. Time will tell as I am scheduled to have them installed in 2 weeks. Folks who have them told me they love them. I can' speak of cool deck because I never even considered it.

What would everyone vote for and why? Travertine, pavers, concrete....

I'm considering Travertine but price and reports of being slippery are making me to reconsider.

There is an awesome product I have found. I can't even imagine putting anything else in now. It's called Shell Stone. It does not get hot, at all. Even in Vegas, and there are different finishes, etc. And naturally non-slip.

here is a link... www.aptrading.com

Tell Janice, Steven Mack sent you, I just received a quote, and getting ready to order, as soon as I find out shipping amount. I am sure other companies carry it too, but you have to be careful and make sure its the real stuff and not a mix, in which they put shells, etc.

Oddly, the decking choice for our pool remodel was the the hardest one to close on. Finally arrived at travertine with a full spectrum of color variations ("porchini" color, FWIW).

Absolutely love it. No issues of slipperiness.

Most of the stones are easy to walk on in the mid-day heat, but, a few of them do get hotter than the rest.

I have paver stones on the stairs end (rectangle pool) with grass around the other 2/3.

I like the look of the pavers I got and was building a patio of it at the time. I'd have grass all around b/c I love the look and it's always cool. Plus it's REALLY cost effective (even when it's installed sod).

If grass would hold up to the dumps of water as people exit the pool I love it surrounding the pool. The pavers get hot when it's steady sun without a reprieve from some clouds passing.

I didn't want concrete because in the North East it's going to crack. It's just a matter of how bad.

Let us know what you decide :)

We decided on Travertine and are extremely happy with it. Research the slipperyness ratings and it is not really that different than many others. It also depends on quality level that you get.

Personally, my wife and I felt that the roughly 30% premium to go to travertine over a concrete paver gave much more than a 30% increase in the look/feel/quality/luxary level. Pavers, cool-deck, etc are common, Travertine is a higher end product.

Absolutely nothing wrong with pavers or the others and I have seen some really nice pavers. Everyone that visits our pool comments on the travertine.

You can see ours in my build in my signature.

We have over 3,000sqft of travertine and love it. We live in South Texas where the sun is almost always out. I can walk (and do) around barefooted without a problem. This is a video that I took early on before all the plantings grew in. Click on the video to play

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We currently have a tumbled travertine patio and plan on using travertine around our IG pool. (we also had it around our temporary intex pool for the past 3 summers.) I purposely picked travertine for our patio because it doesn't get hot and because it's soft underfoot. I never considered it slippery. My kids have taken spills on the patio (they learned how to ride their trikes on it) and they never get scrapes because it's not abrasive. We also used it in our master bathroom because it's not slippery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.