Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Have had skimmer socks for a couple of years. The first brand from Pool Systems USA I got seemed to work okay, although they would run after a week or so it seems - maybe longer.

Then I got a different brand from Jed Industries. They last and last and last...but I noticed our suction is not nearly is good and came to the conclusion with some basic testing that they are too thick, even compared to the first brand. It's pretty noticeable and actually makes the skim doctor (which we liked) non-useable.

So...as I read, I see others have used knee-highs (2 for a dollar? still? couldn't find any that cheap online at target or walgreens).

Others have been using the hair nets from Amazon - either the generic or the 3M ones.

Can anyone comment on any difference in the hairnets from each other (3m vs generic)? Or on flow restriction for any of the items I mentioned above vs how well they work? I pulled the thick sock completely because it's become almost useless in some ways but I do like what I see coming out of the basket, knowing it's not going into the filter. So I want a replacement - but hope to find one that isn't as restrictive as the JED socks.

I can't comment on the pantyhose side of thins because I use the 1 gallon paint strainer nets from Home Depot. They do a good job catching the small debris while allowing water to flow really good. They also last a very long time for me.

Is that this? What is a long time?

I use knee-high stockings. I bought 8 pairs at the grocery store for $5.80 and so far they're lasting about a month, though I don't get a huge load of leaves. So that's $0.35 a month for me. I couldn't detect any drop in water flow. I like it because the spiders get tangled up in it. I tried the hairnets but my skimmer basket locks into place with a twist, and when I put the basket in, the hairnets would tear.

So I settled on the knee-highs. A woman came to pick something out and gave me a weird look and took right off. I'm glad I don't need to buy any for a while!

I've tried all of the above. Paint strainers get some of the debris out, but don't strainout the very fine stuff. Knee highs strain better, but to be economical you are still rinsing and reusing. Hair nets strain much finer than paint strainers and at $6.00 per 100 or $18.00 for 500, are so cheap you just toss them. So you don't even touch any of the yuck. Just pop the old one out, toss it and put a new one in. The actual pool socks sold at pool stores would be my last choice.

Hairnets FTW.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Purchased the 100 hair nets from Amazon about a month ago, I have definitely seen a difference on the skimming side of things. I remember one day looking at the top of my pool before using the nets and seeing a bunch of fine particles. A few days after I started using the nets, there was a noticeable difference!! There was less particles and I was catching more stuff at the skimmer basket vs. catching them at the pump basket!!! I don't see/feel any difference in the flow either.

Cody, you place the net inside of the basket, then the suction "holds" the net down when you place the basket in the skimmer.

Not my picture:

ab87b4d602d7eaa4c570c9ff776827a6.jpg

The big reason I use the hair nets is that it means I can go much longer between filter cleanings. It removes most of the debris before it gets to the filter. In addition to hair nets in both my skimmers, I have a leaf canister as part of the infloor cleaning system that I keep a knee high in. The combination means I seldom see that pressure rise that says time to clean the filter.

I started using the knee-high cause it was time consuming cleaning the skimmer basket. We have small leaves and gum-nuts that get stuck in the holes in the skimmer basket. Once a month I remove it, discard it in the garbage, and put a new one in. Heaps easy :)

My favorite benefit is that the spiders get tangled in it and I don't have to coax them onto a stick. There's a couple of nasty spiders around here.

If there's any significant restriction to water flow, your filter pressure will drop when you put it in, so it's easy to check. Here's a dirty one and a new one.
IMG_1441.jpgIMG_1442.jpgIMG_1444.jpg

Amazon hairnets work great for me. We have two dogs that swim every day. About every two or three days I change hairnets tossing the old ones. There is almost nothing in my pump basket after a month goes by. My filter cartridges just have mostly a grey discoloration with no debris. I clean them in July and October. Pool is open for 6 months.
Before hairnets the dog didn't swim but the small leaves and debris was sort of a pain to dislodge from the skimmer baskets. Nothing in the basket now save for a few dog hairs that inexplicably get around the hairnets.

If there's any significant restriction to water flow, your filter pressure will drop when you put it in, so it's easy to check. Here's a dirty one and a new one.

Oh - what a great idea needsajet!!! That had not occurred to me at all!!

Amazon hairnets work great for me.

bmoreswim - Which hairnets did you (or anyone using them) use? The 3M ones or the others? The 3M ones seem thicker to me - or are they all the same?

I have been using panty hose, but I tie some knots in the legs up to the crouch area and cut the legs off. I find it easier to get the waist part over my basket than the leg part.So I just turn them inside output my hand in the clean side and rinse off and put it back on and they seem to last me months per pair until it starts to get holes in it.I might have to look into the hair net or paint strainer ones when I run out of my pantyhose suppy.My wife gets them for me from a thrift store around here for a quarter apiece.So if you dont mind rinsing them out every few days thats the cheapest way I found.By the way the control top ones last longer and they have a tighter waive to filter out really small particles and they dont affect the water flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.