Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knee-high vs skimmer sock vs hair nets

1. Back To Top    #1

knee-high vs skimmer sock vs hair nets

Have had skimmer socks for a couple of years. The first brand from Pool Systems USA I got seemed to work okay, although they would run after a week or so it seems - maybe longer.

Then I got a different brand from Jed Industries. They last and last and last...but I noticed our suction is not nearly is good and came to the conclusion with some basic testing that they are too thick, even compared to the first brand. It's pretty noticeable and actually makes the skim doctor (which we liked) non-useable.

So...as I read, I see others have used knee-highs (2 for a dollar? still? couldn't find any that cheap online at target or walgreens).

Others have been using the hair nets from Amazon - either the generic or the 3M ones.

Can anyone comment on any difference in the hairnets from each other (3m vs generic)? Or on flow restriction for any of the items I mentioned above vs how well they work? I pulled the thick sock completely because it's become almost useless in some ways but I do like what I see coming out of the basket, knowing it's not going into the filter. So I want a replacement - but hope to find one that isn't as restrictive as the JED socks.
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: knee-high vs skimmer sock vs hair nets

I can't comment on the pantyhose side of thins because I use the 1 gallon paint strainer nets from Home Depot. They do a good job catching the small debris while allowing water to flow really good. They also last a very long time for me.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I can't comment on the pantyhose side of thins because I use the 1 gallon paint strainer nets from Home Depot. They do a good job catching the small debris while allowing water to flow really good. They also last a very long time for me.
    Great idea. Going to pick up some this week.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Is that this? What is a long time?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

5. Back To Top    #5

I use knee-high stockings. I bought 8 pairs at the grocery store for $5.80 and so far they're lasting about a month, though I don't get a huge load of leaves. So that's $0.35 a month for me. I couldn't detect any drop in water flow. I like it because the spiders get tangled up in it. I tried the hairnets but my skimmer basket locks into place with a twist, and when I put the basket in, the hairnets would tear.

So I settled on the knee-highs. A woman came to pick something out and gave me a weird look and took right off. I'm glad I don't need to buy any for a while!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

6. Back To Top    #6

I use the hairnets from Amazon, the 100 count for like 6 bucks. No problems with them.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I've tried all of the above. Paint strainers get some of the debris out, but don't strainout the very fine stuff. Knee highs strain better, but to be economical you are still rinsing and reusing. Hair nets strain much finer than paint strainers and at $6.00 per 100 or $18.00 for 500, are so cheap you just toss them. So you don't even touch any of the yuck. Just pop the old one out, toss it and put a new one in. The actual pool socks sold at pool stores would be my last choice.

Hairnets FTW.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, they are disposable... 😊
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

9. Back To Top    #9

How are knee-highs vs hairnet for impact on suction? About the same?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by doncaruana View Post
    How are knee-highs vs hairnet for impact on suction? About the same?
    That has been my experience, neither seem to affect flow at all.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Maybe a crazy question, but why do you need to do this? And what is the install? AROUND the skimmer basket? I'm confused...never used anything and maybe I should....
    20,000 gallons, In Ground, Pebble Sheen, DE Filter, Jandy 2 Speed, Attached Ground Level Spa, Polaris cleaner with dedicated pump, Ozone Generator, TF 100 w/ SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Purchased the 100 hair nets from Amazon about a month ago, I have definitely seen a difference on the skimming side of things. I remember one day looking at the top of my pool before using the nets and seeing a bunch of fine particles. A few days after I started using the nets, there was a noticeable difference!! There was less particles and I was catching more stuff at the skimmer basket vs. catching them at the pump basket!!! I don't see/feel any difference in the flow either.

Cody, you place the net inside of the basket, then the suction "holds" the net down when you place the basket in the skimmer.

Not my picture:

ab87b4d602d7eaa4c570c9ff776827a6.jpg
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

The big reason I use the hair nets is that it means I can go much longer between filter cleanings. It removes most of the debris before it gets to the filter. In addition to hair nets in both my skimmers, I have a leaf canister as part of the infloor cleaning system that I keep a knee high in. The combination means I seldom see that pressure rise that says time to clean the filter.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Great. Thanks so much!
    20,000 gallons, In Ground, Pebble Sheen, DE Filter, Jandy 2 Speed, Attached Ground Level Spa, Polaris cleaner with dedicated pump, Ozone Generator, TF 100 w/ SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

I started using the knee-high cause it was time consuming cleaning the skimmer basket. We have small leaves and gum-nuts that get stuck in the holes in the skimmer basket. Once a month I remove it, discard it in the garbage, and put a new one in. Heaps easy

My favorite benefit is that the spiders get tangled in it and I don't have to coax them onto a stick. There's a couple of nasty spiders around here.

If there's any significant restriction to water flow, your filter pressure will drop when you put it in, so it's easy to check. Here's a dirty one and a new one.
    IMG_1441.jpgIMG_1442.jpgIMG_1444.jpg
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Amazon hairnets work great for me. We have two dogs that swim every day. About every two or three days I change hairnets tossing the old ones. There is almost nothing in my pump basket after a month goes by. My filter cartridges just have mostly a grey discoloration with no debris. I clean them in July and October. Pool is open for 6 months.
    Before hairnets the dog didn't swim but the small leaves and debris was sort of a pain to dislodge from the skimmer baskets. Nothing in the basket now save for a few dog hairs that inexplicably get around the hairnets.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    If there's any significant restriction to water flow, your filter pressure will drop when you put it in, so it's easy to check. Here's a dirty one and a new one.
    Oh - what a great idea needsajet!!! That had not occurred to me at all!!

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Amazon hairnets work great for me.
    bmoreswim - Which hairnets did you (or anyone using them) use? The 3M ones or the others? The 3M ones seem thicker to me - or are they all the same?

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Here's some that a lot of people here use. Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Science Lab Hairnets: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific They don't fit my skimmer quite right, but your mileage might vary.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Here's some that a lot of people here use. Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Science Lab Hairnets: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific They don't fit my skimmer quite right, but your mileage might vary.
    Yep - that's the generic one I linked to in my original post (as opposed to the 3M). I may give that a whirl. Been trying the knee-high.

20. Back To Top    #20

I have been using panty hose, but I tie some knots in the legs up to the crouch area and cut the legs off. I find it easier to get the waist part over my basket than the leg part.So I just turn them inside output my hand in the clean side and rinse off and put it back on and they seem to last me months per pair until it starts to get holes in it.I might have to look into the hair net or paint strainer ones when I run out of my pantyhose suppy.My wife gets them for me from a thrift store around here for a quarter apiece.So if you dont mind rinsing them out every few days thats the cheapest way I found.By the way the control top ones last longer and they have a tighter waive to filter out really small particles and they dont affect the water flow.
    6100 gal. In ground pool,1HP Pentair Superflo pump, 100 sq. ft. Cartridge filter , 3" tab dispenser, Aqua-Cal heat pump system ,Baracuda MX8 cleaner, in a Birdcage,Taylor K-2006 complete FAS-DPD chlorine kit.
    "Remember Folks Freedom Isn't FREE !!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast