Sta-Rite Sunbrite Bulb Burns Out 2-3 Times A Season With Limited Use

Aug 22, 2015
Commack, NY
I have this dinosaur Sta-Rite Sunbrite Large Underwater Pool Light for my In-Ground Pool. It uses 500W, 120V, R40 Lamps (bulbs.) I have been using Prism Double Ended Halogen Lamps Q500T3C/120, 127196, 120V 500W, at first purchased from Pool Doctor (NY) and for a few years online because they are much less expensive. The new packaging says they are made by Halco. I seem to go through 3 a season with very, very limited use. This year, for example, had a new liner put in May. Filled the pool, turned on the light, and nothing, as usual. Took out the Light and put in a new lamp and it worked. It is August and just had to replace it. I don't think I used it 2 hours total this season. And look at it (am attaching a picture (1). Look how white and opaque it turned. And yes, by the way, the can was dry when I opened it and I do not touch the bulb without latex gloves on and they are installed horizontally. There have been other times when I take the bulb out and it looks perfect but it doesn't work I attached images (2-4) of this one too, and I tested it with a continuity tester and it is indeed no good. Are these lousy bulbs? Why do you think they go bad so fast? What happened to the bulb that turned white? What about the one that looks perfect. Anyone have this Pool Light? If so, do you have the same problem? What brand of bulbs do you recommend? Thanks, DaveView attachment 53676View attachment 53677View attachment 53678View attachment 53679

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.