Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Partial drain of pool....

1. Back To Top    #1

Partial drain of pool....

In trying to lower CYA, if I drain pool below return jets, is it OK to still use equipment "as usual" while it refills via water leveler?

15000 gallon pool (15x30 + 7x7 sitting area), IG-Blue Pebble, Sand Filter-Hayward Pro Series, Pump-Hayward Tristar VS pump, Water Test Kit-TF 100, NEW POOL-COMPLETED ON 5/7/16, City Water w/no restriction, Dolphin M400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Partial drain of pool....

Have a CYA of 70-80.....hard to tell indoors or currently cloudy outdoors.....FC didn't move in a week from 4FC (target)......CYA didn't move either (70).....have had little rain throughout this week....is CYA best measured in SUNNY conditions?

15000 gallon pool (15x30 + 7x7 sitting area), IG-Blue Pebble, Sand Filter-Hayward Pro Series, Pump-Hayward Tristar VS pump, Water Test Kit-TF 100, NEW POOL-COMPLETED ON 5/7/16, City Water w/no restriction, Dolphin M400

3. Back To Top    #3

Today's readings....
    FC-4
    CC-0
    TC-4
    CH-550
    TA-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I know CH is high, ALWAYS has been.....clear water

5. Back To Top    #5

The autofill will be too slow, stick a hose or two in there too.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by samwestx View Post
    In trying to lower CYA, if I drain pool below return jets, is it OK to still use equipment "as usual" while it refills via water leveler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Sam,

Maybe I just don't understand the question, but if you drain the water below the return lines, you can't use your equipment "as usual". Your water will be way below the Skimmers and your pump will just be sucking air. If you have the right valves, you may be able to shut off the skimmers and only select the main drain and run your system that way.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

Jim,

I do have valves to shut off skimmers IF I wanted to do lower level during the day with pump in use....my plans are to fill most if not all night, so pump wouldn't suck air......I'm well aware of the slight drop in FC from pool math (should be 6 on low end with that CYA), but Dolphin manufacturer states not to use in FC over 4? What to do? Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sam,

The worst thing it will do to your Dolphin is fad the plastic. But, it seems that what you are doing makes sense.. drain and refill will reduce your CYA level to a point where your FC can be much closer to 4 ppm.

Almost every manufacturer, of almost all pool equipment says to keep the FC below 3 or 4. I believe that they do this because they do not use CYA in their analysis. My understanding is that an FC of 4 without CYA is worse than an FC of 10 with a CYA of 90. Let's face it, if you can swim in it, how bad can it be for a machine?

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.