Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build in Chandler AZ

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build in Chandler AZ

Figured it would be fun to document the progress of our pool build and hopefully it gives insight to others by way of design or questions. I had been lurking on this forum for awhile prior to us starting the interview selection process for deciding on a pool builder. We moved into a new home at the beginning of March (new construction) and swore to ourselves that we’d never go another summer in AZ without a pool. After we got our finances back in check and the many projects inside the house were being completed, we started interviewing pool builders in May. We got 5 bids and they were all pretty close to each other. We explained what our vision was to each of the builders, so the basic concept was the same in each of the designs, and the quotes were all relatively close to each other. The one we chose had what we felt the best design of the group and they have one of the better reputations in the Phoenix area. We signed the contract on 6/18/16 and then went through a couple change orders. Dig started 7/25/16 and things have progressed slowly since that time due to a heavy rain we got on 8/2/16 which set us back about 2 weeks. On to the details:

Specs
    Perimeter: 119
    Depths: 3.5x5x4
    Dimensions: 33'8" x 20' on the baja bench side & 16' on the table side
    Interior Area: 1032
    Gallons: 16,680

Equipment
    Hayward 60DE filter, EcoStar Variable Speed Pump, Hayward P4 Programmable Remote Control System w/puck, Gold line salt chlorinator, Wave Force Venturi Skimmer, Wave Force venturi looped return system (8 returns), Hayward Color Logic Light, Paralevel Auto Water leveler, Dedicated vacuum (however I'll be using a Doheny Discovery robot cleaner that I bought last month while it was on sale).

Features
    Oversized baja bench with two bubblers (for the kids - 2.5 year old and another due in Nov.), 42”x24” rectangle table with seating area (for the adults), +6” +18” +6” feature wall with stacked stone and 4’ sheer decent, Arctic Sea Glass Pebble interior finish, travertine decking.
    And now on to the pictures which I know everyone loves, myself included.

Design and Material Selections

In one of the change orders, we increased size of the baja bench as we felt it was a little small at first. The overall baja bench size is 8' deep at its deepest and 13'8" at its widest. Now the baja bench is inline with two pillars on our covered patio. This ultimately added 2' to the whole width of the pool. I never did get revised renderings after that change order though, so these aren't the most accurate depiction of the overall size.

White quartz stacked stone, waterline tile, Boulevard Lite travertine, and 1”x1” glass mesh tile for table top

Pool builder’s exclusive finish: Arctic Sea Glass Pebble (pebble tech finish with sea glass and abalone shell)

Layout

Dig

Day 1 of excavation, the equipment shows up

The excavation took about 2.5 days. The little excavator took awhile to get through the earth; slowly but surely it got the job done though. And the bobcat got a flat on the end of the second day, so that delayed things a little further.

Aftermath of rainstorm
    Plumbing was scheduled for 8/3/16 and we got an epic monsoon storm on 8/2/16. Here's a picture of the rain that night and how quickly it turned the overflow basin next to us into a lake. We felt so helpless watching the backyard fill with water and ultimately start eroding into the hole.

As you can see, the plumbers got most of the work done in one day, but we had to wait until the rain water subsided and the excavators to come back and and fix the mess.

Steel
    This guy worked alone and got most of the job done on Friday 8/19 and then spent another 5 hours on Saturday morning to complete it.

That's where we leave off as of now. I will be contact the PB tomorrow as I'm only seeing 3 bars for the bond beam. One of the reasons we chose this builder is that they stated they do a 5 bar bond beam. Electrical is supposed to happen 8/22-8/23, then pre-shotcrete inspection 8/24. If all goes according to plan and no issues at the inspection, shotcrete is supposed to happen 8/25 or 8/26. I'll keep updating this post as we make progress. Thanks for letting us share our story!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build in Chandler AZ

HI! This is going to be a fun one to watch! I almost cried for you when I saw the rain picture and not a thing you could do.

It looks like they got it all fixed up though.

Let us know what the PB says about the bond beam.

I LOVE your design and pics for the finishes! PRETTY! You are going to love that table I bet! The shelf for the kids is awesome.

Thanks for sharing and letting us come along for the ride!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I love how you broke up the straight lines with the curved sun shelf. Gives the pool a bit more character. Storing this one away for inspiration! Good luck!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you want to see what your pebble will look like, drive up to Mountain Bridge (McKellips near Elsworth) and go to the Residence 5 model. That's the exact pool they have in the brochure they gave you.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP, you will love it here..

Nice looking pool.. I'll bet it was a little challenging to get all that equipment into such a narrow spot.

Thanks for the pics, we always enjoy them, and it is just one of the reasons so many people visit this site...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    HI! This is going to be a fun one to watch! I almost cried for you when I saw the rain picture and not a thing you could do.

It looks like they got it all fixed up though.

Let us know what the PB says about the bond beam.

I LOVE your design and pics for the finishes! PRETTY! You are going to love that table I bet! The shelf for the kids is awesome.

Thanks for sharing and letting us come along for the ride!

Thanks for the comments KimKats. Will let you know what they say about the missing 2 bars to make up the 5 bar bond beam.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpiebk View Post
    I love how you broke up the straight lines with the curved sun shelf. Gives the pool a bit more character. Storing this one away for inspiration! Good luck!
    Thanks grumpiebk. That's the curvature of the shelf and steps are what set this design apart. All others incorporated hard lines, and this was an idea that the designer thought up and helped win their business.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    If you want to see what your pebble will look like, drive up to Mountain Bridge (McKellips near Elsworth) and go to the Residence 5 model. That's the exact pool they have in the brochure they gave you.
    We actually did make our way over there to look at all of the models and see all of the same pools they showcase in their brochure prior to our materials selection appointment. Unfortunately the pools were all filthy and it was hard to gauge the subtle differences between something like Arctic and Mediterranean because of how dirty they all were. It did help reassure our decision to forgo the in-floor cleaners though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Welcome to TFP, you will love it here..

Nice looking pool.. I'll bet it was a little challenging to get all that equipment into such a narrow spot.

Thanks for the pics, we always enjoy them, and it is just one of the reasons so many people visit this site...

Jim R.
    Thanks Jim. We had to pay a bit more money in plumbing and electrical runs to get all of the equipment on that side, but since our A/C unit is over there and that side is basically already rendered useless, we wanted it over there to keep it out of the way.

7. Back To Top    #7

Love the geometric design - there is something timeless about a simple design.

That table is going to be a great little spot..
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks wonderful! Great design choices, travertine is just so beautiful.

Swim ready :) My Pool Build Thread. IG shotcrete 34x16 Grecian shape. 22k gallons. 3'6 - 8'6 deep. 12x5 Baja ledge w/ 2 Bubblers, 14' raised beam sheer descent waterfall in stacked rock. Custom stone diving board. Hayward sand filter, VS pump, Aquarite T-15 SWCG. A&A In floor system w/ Gamma 4 venturi heads, Blue surf Pebble sheen, Colorlogic LED. Future Travertine Sandcastle Owner.

9. Back To Top    #9

is that travertine color lighter like an ivory or medium like a walnut color? ive never heard of that specific name.

10. Back To Top    #10

is that travertine color lighter like an ivory or medium like a walnut color? ive never heard of that specific name.
    I'd say this is more like a light mocha color. We opted for this one since it was smoother and a lot less porous than the level 1 travertine selections they had. I'm sure this honed finish will be more slippery, but the more porous ones get so dirty looking after awhile and change appearance. Hoping this selection will look the same many years down the road. Here are a couple more pictures from the showroom.

11. Back To Top    #11

8/22/16 Update
    Emailed PB regarding the missing steel on the 5 bar bond beam at 7:20AM. Site supervisor showed up at 7:45AM as I was leaving for work and confirmed that the bond beam was not complete. They've rescheduled the steel guys to come back out tomorrow to complete the work. This begs the question; had I not pointed this out, would they have just proceeded as is? Must say I was pleased that they showed up right away and kept us informed throughout the day regarding the scheduling.

Electrical was completed today as well. First city inspection is scheduled for Wednesday 8/24. Here are some new pictures from today. Looking forward to everything staying on schedule and getting shotcrete 8/25 or 8/26!

12. Back To Top    #12

You know the answer to that..........good job keeping your eyes open and saying something!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Make sure the light is centered where you want it 😄

Swim ready :) My Pool Build Thread. IG shotcrete 34x16 Grecian shape. 22k gallons. 3'6 - 8'6 deep. 12x5 Baja ledge w/ 2 Bubblers, 14' raised beam sheer descent waterfall in stacked rock. Custom stone diving board. Hayward sand filter, VS pump, Aquarite T-15 SWCG. A&A In floor system w/ Gamma 4 venturi heads, Blue surf Pebble sheen, Colorlogic LED. Future Travertine Sandcastle Owner.

14. Back To Top    #14

Lol, ours was done right the first time

15. Back To Top    #15

Finally had shotcrete done today! We initially didn't get cleared on the pre-shotcrete inspection because the plumbing wasn't holding pressure. So that got fixed on the 25th, then the city came back out for inspection on the 26th. Shotcrete was then pushed to Monday the 29th. We were super excited when they showed up at 5:30AM and got to work. Then unfortunately they discovered the plumbing in the main drain was not centered, so they packed up and took off to another job. Emailed the PB right away and the supervisor was on site at 7:30. Luckily they were able to get the plumber out that same day to center the pipe and got shotcrete rescheduled for today, 8/30. It's been a little frustrating dealing with these setbacks, however the PB has been very responsive and remedies the issues quickly. Here are the pictures from today. The guys worked from 5:30-11:30AM.

Also, we are going to switch up some of our material selections on Thursday 9/1. If everything goes to plan, they'll be back out to form the top of the concrete table, do the coping, deck, and stacked stone for the raised bond beam sections.

16. Back To Top    #16

SWEET! Now it really looks like a pool! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it LOL You can use a sprinkler to help you out with that.

17. Back To Top    #17

Yep, we're certainly bonding. Got its 4th watering this morning.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

That's impressive that the shotcrete guys pulled out because the drain wasn't centered. I've seen many times on here, after shotcrete, where people are left with this or that out of place per the plan or per common sense. Hurray for them.

I really like your pool design. It has a great sense of balance while not being symmetrical and mix of geometric and freeform attributes.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

19. Back To Top    #19

I really like the look of the painted above ground PVC at the pad. Did you do this or did you ask your PB to do it? It's the little things!

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

20. Back To Top    #20

I really like the look of the painted above ground PVC at the pad. Did you do this or did you ask your PB to do it? It's the little things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They paint the pipes as part of their standard practice. It's very common here in AZ with all the pool builders.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast