Lacombe, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30
Drained my pool 75% to clear out Uber high CYA levels. Refilled the pool, and added 2 gallons of 10% chlorine. 8 Oz by volume of dry acid and 8 Oz 31%muriatic acid.

FC 2.6 CC 0.0
PH 8.0 still
TA 230
CH 40
CYA 55

Going to get 2 bottles of muriatic acid(per Dave S.), and probably 5 more bottles of chlorine. Hopefully that will be enough to get me through til tomorrow.

Ok Louise- lets get that FC up to at least 7 (7 being ideal, 5 being the basement minimum for your CYA of 60) per the CYA chart --> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Keep going with the muriatic acid until you get a reading in the 7s.... you may have been well higher than just 8.0 and it takes a lot to move it. It will also help lower your TA if you can drop the pH to 7.2. A high TA pulls the pH up, so you do want to lower that. Short read-->Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Keep us posted how its going :)

Yip :flower:

Ok, I think I got some old bleach from Home Depot. This bottle gave me a much bigger jump!View attachment 53661

FC 5.2
PH 7.2!!!!!

Dave S. Told me to aim for 10.0 FC because of the tannin load in my well water. So I am going to bump it up to that.

Dave S told me to head for 10.0, so that is what I am doing. I have tannins such that I couldn't see the bottom of the pool when it was filled.

Attachments

• 20160821_133851.jpg
    20160821_133851.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20160821_133856.jpg
    20160821_133856.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 99
Oh lordie, i never suggest that anyone buy bleach from Lowes or Home Depot. They tend to store it outside in the garden center where the sun and heat do a number on the potency.... and they don't have fast enough turn over in stock for my comfort. Stick to Wallyworld or the local market where you know its being re-stocked often and kept inside.

Ah, good to know! I try to stay away from Wally World, but if it saves me money I will do it!

FC 9.8
CC 0.4
pH 7.4, but I read this one inside and the 7.2 outside, will check again in the AM.
TC 210

Pool is definitely clearing up. I am excited to see what it looks like in the AM. Oh dang, gotta go turn off the automatic timer, don't want the pump to shut off tonight!

Currently in South Louisiana there is a run on bleach! I saw HD putting up a display of $2.99 bleach for $5.97. If I thought the state would do anything I would turn them in for price gouging!

Btw, use a 10ml water sample for your FC/CC tests. Then multiply the drop count by 0.5 or divide by 2. It will save on reagents.

Also, check the date code on your chlorine. 16218 would be the 218th day of 2016. Buy the freshest you can.

Oh, good to know.

Morning levels

FC 8.2
CC 0.2
PH 7.4

Pool looked green, not algae green, more likee blue and yellow make green! Tannins are finally yellow!
Dumped in 1 gallon 10% and retested.
FC 12.0, finally remembered the 10ml test!

Afternoon check

FC 5.5
CC 0.5
PH 7.4

Pool looks almost see through. Still some tannins left, but not much.

I keep getting stuff that looks like algae, but I know it can't be, dropping out and getting deposited in the middle of the pool.

I used my aquabot rover to clean it up. I will pull him out and give his bag a good cleaning.

Marian;

The di-chlor granules from the pool store.

Ok, this morning the pool was sparkling and clear, nothing on the bottom for once either. The test results for this AM:

FC: 10.0
CC: 0.0
PH: 7.5

Looking at the Chlorine/CYA chart it looks like I should target FC = 7?
If tonight's test is below 7.0, add to keep it at 7??
I will keep an eye on PH as it is climbing as well, from the high TA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK test results tonight.

FC 4.6
CC 0.0
Ph 7.7

Added chlorine to increase to 7.0 and acid to bring pH to 7.2.

How did you add muriatic add without dying?

Ha! I never measure MA. I guesstimate, make sure I am upwind, hold my breath, and make sure I am prepared to jump into the pool with eyes open if a random drop gets behind my glasses. It's brutal stuff. Please also wait 30 minutes between chlorine and MA additions. Those two chemicals don't like each other!

FC 4.6? You forgot the 10ml sample again.... Haha!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.