Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquapure 1400 keeps saying low salt.

1. Back To Top    #1

Aquapure 1400 keeps saying low salt.

My aquapure a couple of months ago or so said low salt so I put in a couple of bags of salt. It then read high salt for a little bit and then gradually dropped down and I assumed the problem was solved. 2 days later it was reading 1.8 which I knew wasn't right so I took the sensor out and the metal things were covered with whitish like grime. I cleaned them up and things have been fine until a week ago when it happened again. I cleaned the same grime off and now it just happened again and I again cleaned the grime off it. Is there something I can do to stop the sensor from getting coated with whatever whitish stuff is getting on it?

Thanks
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aquapure 1400 keeps saying low salt.

Can you post a copy of current test results? That will help us trouble shoot your problem.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Can you post a copy of current test results? That will help us trouble shoot your problem.
    I don't have test results at the moment. I believe the water here is naturally PH 8.0 and I haven't been playing with PH. Would it being high cause the problem?
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, high pH can cause the symptoms that you have. What will be worse is the pool will scale also.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool does not seem to be scaling at the moment. Right now its working again, although I mispoke originally in the thread, it last a grand total of 3 days in between cleanings.

6. Back To Top    #6

How old is the sensor? Historically these have only lasted a few years but there is a newer model that is supposed to be better. And do you get any error codes, or just a low salt reading?

edit - New vs old sensors are pictured here: Jandy Aqua Pure 1400 error code 172
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    How old is the sensor? Historically these have only lasted a few years but there is a newer model that is supposed to be better. And do you get any error codes, or just a low salt reading?

edit - New vs old sensors are pictured here: Jandy Aqua Pure 1400 error code 172
    The sensor is old, 6 plus years I'm sure. I get error code 144 low salt. I just had to do it again now and clean it. The two side sensors were coated with slime or something so the sensor seems to be fine, I just don't know what is causing it to slime up like this. I added acid and the PH is around 7.5 right now as measured yesterday.

8. Back To Top    #8

Is it correct to assume that your cell is also the same age? If so then you are lucky to have gotten that long out of them, that is far longer than I get and my pool is only open for about 4.5 months per year. How does your cell look? Your best course of action may be to replace the cell and it normally comes with the sensor as well. Or you can just buy the sensor.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

9. Back To Top    #9

Cell maybe the same age but it was broken for awhile until I fixed it when I moved in. The cell and sensor seem fine. The sensor just keeps getting slimed up.

10. Back To Top    #10

You need to manage your CSI to avoid scale. Keep it between -0.3 and 0. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    You need to manage your CSI to avoid scale. Keep it between -0.3 and 0. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    agree 100% however this sensor is filming over with whatever is getting on it daily now. I've had the house for almost 2 years and it ran solid for a year and a half now so what could be causing it to get this film/grime whatever it is on the sensor each day? I do have to go to work so I have limited time right now, but the PH is currently at 7.2. Is there a way to just bypass the sensor on these things? I know there is plenty of salt.

Even if I were to replace the sensor as I don't think its reading quite right, the new one will grime up like this one too. I think I'll try and take a picture of it tonight or tomorrow when I'm sure I'll have to clean it again.

12. Back To Top    #12

Like we said, give us a complete set of test results so we can help you.

You can't bypass the sensor. Use bleach in the meantime.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Like we said, give us a complete set of test results so we can help you.

You can't bypass the sensor. Use bleach in the meantime.
    I'm working on that, still can't believe anything could cause it to slime over daily.

14. Back To Top    #14

Very high scale potential can develop scale rapidly. Some historical test results will help diagnose that. If you don't think it is scale what do you think know it is? Is it actually slimy? Or is it more white/tan crusty?
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Picture of what sensor looked like before I cleaned it. It was reading 2.1 instead of 3.1. I was waiting until it stopped producing to take picture but since I'm home today. Figured I would clean it. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    My aquapure a couple of months ago or so said low salt so I put in a couple of bags of salt.
    Salt does not evaporate. The only way you would lose salt is to drain the pool, a leak, or when you splash or bring it out on your body. Whenever your system says the salt is low or high, you need to first curb the urge to correct it without a test first. Your sensor, when it gets the build up on it, will skew what the unit interprets as an accurate salt reading. That's not to say that cleaning will correct this every time. As stated above, those sensors are very problematic to say the least. You state that your sensor is 6+ years? That is great, it is also the exception, not the rule. More than likely, you are up for another soon, if not right now.

If your system had been working then all of a sudden, boom, your low on salt, be skeptical. Two bags may, or may not, have put your salt level too high for proper function. Yes it may be still functioning but the system tells the cell to come on based on IT'S results, and running the cell at higher salt levels will damage the cell. Now if your cell is also 6 years, you are probably ready for a new one of those too and that could be the reason for the trouble you are having. One thing i have learned from these units is that in a lot of cases, the code it gives you could not be farther from the real cause.

I recommend to customers that do not have a pool store locally, or one that they trust, to get their own salt tester. I DO NOT recommend the strip testers. Digital salt testers can be had for +/- $100.00 on line.

Here are a few...
    Amazon.com: pool salt meter
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

17. Back To Top    #17

That is all good information, but I am trying to figure out what is getting on the sensor that I have to clean off everytime. I am aware salt doesn't evaporate. However, it does go down when more water is added which is pretty common here in Florida when it rains daily. The pool also tends to end up filling up to the drain point and water leaves that way too while more rain comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    Salt does not evaporate. The only way you would lose salt is to drain the pool, a leak, or when you splash or bring it out on your body. Whenever your system says the salt is low or high, you need to first curb the urge to correct it without a test first. Your sensor, when it gets the build up on it, will skew what the unit interprets as an accurate salt reading. That's not to say that cleaning will correct this every time. As stated above, those sensors are very problematic to say the least. You state that your sensor is 6+ years? That is great, it is also the exception, not the rule. More than likely, you are up for another soon, if not right now.

If your system had been working then all of a sudden, boom, your low on salt, be skeptical. Two bags may, or may not, have put your salt level too high for proper function. Yes it may be still functioning but the system tells the cell to come on based on IT'S results, and running the cell at higher salt levels will damage the cell. Now if your cell is also 6 years, you are probably ready for a new one of those too and that could be the reason for the trouble you are having. One thing i have learned from these units is that in a lot of cases, the code it gives you could not be farther from the real cause.

I recommend to customers that do not have a pool store locally, or one that they trust, to get their own salt tester. I DO NOT recommend the strip testers. Digital salt testers can be had for +/- $100.00 on line.

Here are a few...
    Amazon.com: pool salt meter

18. Back To Top    #18

anyone have any ideas from the picture what is happening?

19. Back To Top    #19

That is scale. You need to manage your CSI to avoid scale. Keep it between -0.3 and 0. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    That is scale. You need to manage your CSI to avoid scale. Keep it between -0.3 and 0. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    Great thank you. So basically I have to start dealing with the PH. I have been successfully avoiding using the acid, but it looks like I have no choice now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast