Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool, new pebble plaster, starting chem balance help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question New pool, new pebble plaster, starting chem balance help?

Hey guys, so I'm working on chemistry right now for my newly filled pool. Unfortunately the PB's setup was just a simple test strip and instructions to "go to the pool store" if the readings were not within parameters. Derp.

So it's a good thing I already purchased my TF-100 test kit!

The PB has already poured in a few gallons of liquid chlorine, and set up a floating puck dispenser. He also added some muriatic acid.

The pool is IG shotcrete pool, 22-23k gallons with new pebble sheen plaster

My readings this morning:

FC - 2
    CH - 150
    TA - 180
    CYA - 0
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.8

Chemicals the PB left me: A small bucket of pucks for the floater thingy, and 2 gallons of MA.

I know these aren't ideal, and I've plugged some numbers into the pool math calculator, but it's telling me to add like 3 gallons 1 quart of calcium chloride, 1 quart 6oz of MA, 1quart 2oz of Bleach and 1 gallon 1 quart of stabilizer. Does this seem correct?

I know I can get the MA and Bleach easy enough, but do I go to the pool store for the stabilizer and calcium chloride? Should I remove the floating puck?

* I should note that this will be a salt pool, but right now we're waiting 30 days to let the pebble sheen cure, so it's manual chlorination until then.

Thanks!
    Swim ready :) My Pool Build Thread. IG shotcrete 34x16 Grecian shape. 22k gallons. 3'6 - 8'6 deep. 12x5 Baja ledge w/ 2 Bubblers, 14' raised beam sheer descent waterfall in stacked rock. Custom stone diving board. Hayward sand filter, VS pump, Aquarite T-15 SWCG. A&A In floor system w/ Gamma 4 venturi heads, Blue surf Pebble sheen, Colorlogic LED. Future Travertine Sandcastle Owner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool, new pebble plaster, starting chem balance help?

Can I buy something like this from Home Depot to increase my calcium chloride and CH readings?
    Snow Joe 50 lb. Re-Sealable Bag Calcium Chloride Crystals Ice Melter-MELT50CC - The Home Depot

It's very cheap for the poundage.

Or do I need to buy this specifically labeled product for increasing Calcium Hardness? Leslie's Hardness Plus Pool Chemical
    Swim ready :) My Pool Build Thread. IG shotcrete 34x16 Grecian shape. 22k gallons. 3'6 - 8'6 deep. 12x5 Baja ledge w/ 2 Bubblers, 14' raised beam sheer descent waterfall in stacked rock. Custom stone diving board. Hayward sand filter, VS pump, Aquarite T-15 SWCG. A&A In floor system w/ Gamma 4 venturi heads, Blue surf Pebble sheen, Colorlogic LED. Future Travertine Sandcastle Owner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Congrats! The first 30 days of plaster is important.

Prority 1, do what the installer says to do.

Priority 2, do what the manufacturer says to do

We will help fill in the gaps after that.

Here is Pebble Tec's basic care instructions
    Pool Care Instructions Pebble Tec

Go here and register your pool and they will send you detailed start up docs and support contacts for any issues.
    Product Registration Pebble Tec

More on pool chems here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I would get CH up to 250 ppm, but see what PT wants first. I know Wet Edge wants 200 ppm to start with.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks pooldv!

5. Back To Top    #5

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma now. My filter ended up having a leak so my PB shut it all down.

Now that filter is out of operation and the pump is off, how am I suppose to upkeep chemical balance??

Can I just pour in Muriatic Acid and Bleach in without a pump going? o_O It's just a sitting pond right now and I don't want the new pebble plaster to get messed up from bad chemistry. Help me out guys.

6. Back To Top    #6

Pour slowly and then brush to disperse/mix throughout pool
    Always wait half an hour between adding chemicals
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, continue to maintain PH and FC and brushing the pool will keep it mixed in.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach