Back to square one :(

marlyu

May 24, 2016
Woodbridge, VA
I resurrected our swampy pool at the start of summer and had a nice clear pool for 2 months, while maintaining pH at 7.5-7.8 and FC 4-7. Now, two weeks ago, nearly overnight, I'm back to swampy green, can't see to the bottom at all. I don't know what else to do. Below are the values been maintaining round the clock for at least a week or more with no change. No chlorine loss overnight or really much during the day either. HELP! :confused:

FC: 16 or higher
CC: .5
CYA: 50
pH: 6.8 (had to lower it because it had gotten high and I read here that chlorine not effective at high pH; not to mention that the algae blooms raise the pH)
TA: 120
CH: 225

SLAM level for your CYA is 20, so raise your FC to at least that and keep it there.

pH readings with FC over 10 are not accurate, so ignore that for now.

Are you brushing daily? Backwashing when pressure rises 25% above clean pressure?

Review the steps here, SLAM Process

Once the SLAM is complete, all 3 criteria, then it is important to keep FC above minimum for your CYA at all times to sanitize the pool. Here is the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Yep, double checked CYA before posting. Brushing multiple times a day, vacuuming at least once (although there's no settled gunk or leaves only the minute algae particles). Backwashing daily as well. Pressure has never gone out of the green, which is up to 10. The calculators' Shock level is wrong, on both the CLASSIC and IMPROVED versions.

Backwashing before the pressure increases 20% of clean pressure actually keeps the filter from filtering as well as it could. Having some dirt in the filter help plug it up a bit and it will actually filter better as it catches smaller particles. Same as adding a little DE will do. It will save you time and water if you let it go a little longer and use the pressure as your gauge for when to backwash.

Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Really, never heard of that. If we don't backwash regularly, then the suction and thus return pressure does decrease. When backwashing, water comes out green for period too before clear again at a lower pressure. After backwashing and replacing filter sock (we're using hair nets in the trap), it's back to full pressure. P.S. since we're not just starting with opening, it has plenty of extra little particles from when we first opened it with full on swamp/gunk mode before starting to use the hair nets.

Have you ever noted the pressure after you backwash ?? Maybe you've been close to the 20% without knowing it, little under, little over ??

I always glance at the gauge, but not sure if I've steadily tracked it really. I'm sure it's possible at times when I would let it go for 2-3 days at a time while we were in the clear. But now, when I'm constantly cleaning and stuff, I just backwash once daily and have never seen our pressure out of the green zone.

We have over two weeks of maintaining chlorine at 16 or above, and there's no change whatsoever. It's as green as ever. When I slammed at opening, there was obvious change from day to day and we were clear within a week. What else could be at play?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.