Back to square one :(

Extremely frustrating. Here are pics, looks as if we just took the cover off. P.S. to address CYA again, it hasn't varied from 50 since we opened the pool with regular testing, so retesting it from just 2 days ago does not seem relevant to this and just seems to waste the reagent.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. Reread your whole thread and you said you couldn't see the bottom. So that's more than a metals issue. Did you raise your slam/shock level to 20? Being at 16 isn't enough with a CYA of 50.

Yes, the 16 was only a base, a lot of times I added extra bleach/chlorine, so it was almost always higher and closer to 20 when I tested FC multiple times a day. Has been at 20 or higher without any change for close to a week.

Attachments

• 20160823_184232.jpg
    20160823_184232.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20160823_184244.jpg
    20160823_184244.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 80
I'm going to ask a terribly obvious question just to rule out any stray possibilities. The FC testing has been with a 10ml pool sample and with drops/2?

I'm going to ask a terribly obvious question just to rule out any stray possibilities. The FC testing has been with a 10ml pool sample and with drops/2?

Yes, sir. Became a TFP converter when first opened this pool with the kit, following all directions, and had a crystal clear pool within 1 week of opening with testing, brushing, vacuuming, etc. Have no idea why after 2 months I'm starting from scratch, doing all I'm supposed to, and no results to show for it. I bought the XL DPD add-on and am on the 2nd powder and reagent all in one summer season. So, yeah, I'm testing a lot and testing correctly :)

I had real good luck with their free and clear although my pool wasn't as green as yours. I used 2 bags for my 18k pool. Keep in mind I am not a pool chemistry expert but the stuff seems to work. My thought is it might take out enough algae to where the FC can do the rest

If it has been at 20 or higher (for sure) for a week with no change, if it was my pool, I might go to 24FC for a day or two and see if there was any change. There is a +/- accuracy of 10ppm with the CYA test. MAYBE that is the issue. Worth a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, algaecides don't kill algae.

Buckeye, I am a she, no matter though. MarianParoo,I will raise FC, but I know for the last two days it has been at over 20 because when hubby is home alone he doesn't test the water just adds extra bleach and when I test in pm when get home or first thing in am, it's always 20 or above. I'll keep at it with bleach and will report in another two days.

- - - Updated - - -

I had real good luck with their free and clear although my pool wasn't as green as yours. I used 2 bags for my 18k pool. Keep in mind I am not a pool chemistry expert but the stuff seems to work. My thought is it might take out enough algae to where the FC can do the rest

Way back when opening, I spent many dollars on Green N Clean or Yellow Out, liquid algaecide, etc., they never effected any change.

All I can say is my pool went from greenish to crystal clear in less than 2 days with those 2 bags of free and clear and a gallon of bleach. Might not work for them but that's what happened for me however my situation was a bit different

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Buckeye, I am a she, no matter though. MarianParoo,I will raise FC, but I know for the last two days it has been at over 20 because when hubby is home alone he doesn't test the water just adds extra bleach and when I test in pm when get home or first thing in am, it's always 20 or above. I'll keep at it with bleach and will report in another two days.

- - - Updated - - -

Way back when opening, I spent many dollars on Green N Clean or Yellow Out, liquid algaecide, etc., they never effected any change.

Good luck hope to see you get it under control without losing much more of the swim season

Keeping the FC up at 20 and brushing as often as you can should get the job done. Kind of expected to see it looking a little more gray thinking it was dead algae that needed to get filtered out. I've had that problem before where I opened up to a mess and killed the algae but it took days or weeks until the filter caught up and cleared it out. That looks like it's still live. :confused:

I would be very tempted in upping the FC to try and hurry the process along. I say that only because I understand your frustration and you've said you've held 20 for a week.
Myself, I wouldn't try any algaecide. I've used this method and it's always worked. :lovetfp:

Last edited:
Copied from Chem Geek: "Leslie's Fresh 'N Clear is a potassium monopersulfate (MPS) otherwise known as non-chlorine shock. It is an oxidizer, but is not a fast-acting sanitizer. So you can't use it to substitute for chlorine if you let your chlorine get to zero though you can use it to supplement chlorine such as using it for shocking the pool that already has some chlorine in it."

It seems it's more for indoor pools and especially spas. If it was tossed in with a gallon of bleach it isn't much different than just adding the correct SLAM level of bleach.

Keeping the FC up at 20 and brushing as often as you can should get the job done. Kind of expected to see it looking a little more green thinking it was dead algae that needed to get filtered out. I've had that problem before where I opened up to a mess and killed the algae but it took days until the filter caught up and cleared it out. That looks like it's still live. :confused:

I would be very tempted in upping the FC to try and hurry the process along. I say that only because I understand your frustration and you've said you've held 20 for a week.
Myself, I wouldn't try any algaecide. I've used this method and it's always worked. :lovetfp:

I will keep at it, certainly can't get worse, right? It's definitely alive and well. Brushing constantly here. I'm sad Walmart stopped selling the 10% liquid and it's out of stock online. Have to settle for the 8.25% bleach.

Just a couple of quick thoughts
Since it sounds like you moved to a new bleach recently have you tried testing, dosing, then testing again in half an hour to see if you get the expected rise? If the new bleach was stored in a hot warehouse over summer it may have degraded

Also I would not trust the pressure gauge on the filter, I have the same and mine stopped being accurate after 2 months. It barely rose when switched on and stayed in the green zone, even with little pressure out of the returns

I also backwash, rinse, then backwash a second time, another rinse and then filter as recommended here. Surprising what comes out of the second backwash

HTH

Not trying to make you mad! But are you absolutely sure you are measuring CYA accurately? Just for kicks and since things still aren't going well, can you describe your process for measuring CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.