Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to square one :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Back to square one :(

I resurrected our swampy pool at the start of summer and had a nice clear pool for 2 months, while maintaining pH at 7.5-7.8 and FC 4-7. Now, two weeks ago, nearly overnight, I'm back to swampy green, can't see to the bottom at all. I don't know what else to do. Below are the values been maintaining round the clock for at least a week or more with no change. No chlorine loss overnight or really much during the day either. HELP!

FC: 16 or higher
    CC: .5
    CYA: 50
    pH: 6.8 (had to lower it because it had gotten high and I read here that chlorine not effective at high pH; not to mention that the algae blooms raise the pH)
    TA: 120
    CH: 225
    Kayak 12' x 24' 8600 gallon pool; Vinyl liner; Intex Sand Filter 2800 GPH; TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Back to square one :(

SLAM level for your CYA is 20, so raise your FC to at least that and keep it there.

pH readings with FC over 10 are not accurate, so ignore that for now.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

Ugh, the calculator is showing me slam level of 16, which is what I've been keeping it at, although going over on most days, so probably closer to 18.
    Kayak 12' x 24' 8600 gallon pool; Vinyl liner; Intex Sand Filter 2800 GPH; TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

SLAM level is 40% of CYA.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you brushing daily? Backwashing when pressure rises 25% above clean pressure?

Review the steps here, SLAM

Once the SLAM is complete, all 3 criteria, then it is important to keep FC above minimum for your CYA at all times to sanitize the pool. Here is the FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Double check that you have 50 as your CYA in PoolMath.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep, double checked CYA before posting. Brushing multiple times a day, vacuuming at least once (although there's no settled gunk or leaves only the minute algae particles). Backwashing daily as well. Pressure has never gone out of the green, which is up to 10. The calculators' Shock level is wrong, on both the CLASSIC and IMPROVED versions.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are you using the PoolMath link at the top of each page? Or some other calculator?

This link, http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Are you using the PoolMath link at the top of each page? Or some other calculator?

This link, http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    I see that your link does calculate accurately. The links I was given when started and what I've been using are these:http://poolcalculator.com/index-classic.html and The Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Backwashing before the pressure increases 20% of clean pressure actually keeps the filter from filtering as well as it could. Having some dirt in the filter help plug it up a bit and it will actually filter better as it catches smaller particles. Same as adding a little DE will do. It will save you time and water if you let it go a little longer and use the pressure as your gauge for when to backwash.

Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Really, never heard of that. If we don't backwash regularly, then the suction and thus return pressure does decrease. When backwashing, water comes out green for period too before clear again at a lower pressure. After backwashing and replacing filter sock (we're using hair nets in the trap), it's back to full pressure. P.S. since we're not just starting with opening, it has plenty of extra little particles from when we first opened it with full on swamp/gunk mode before starting to use the hair nets.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Have you ever noted the pressure after you backwash ?? Maybe you've been close to the 20% without knowing it, little under, little over ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I always glance at the gauge, but not sure if I've steadily tracked it really. I'm sure it's possible at times when I would let it go for 2-3 days at a time while we were in the clear. But now, when I'm constantly cleaning and stuff, I just backwash once daily and have never seen our pressure out of the green zone.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by marlyu View Post
    I see that your link does calculate accurately. The links I was given when started and what I've been using are these:http://poolcalculator.com/index-classic.html and The Pool Calculator
    Pool calculator is not supported or updated. Use the link to PoolMath here, we keep it updated.
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

We have over two weeks of maintaining chlorine at 16 or above, and there's no change whatsoever. It's as green as ever. When I slammed at opening, there was obvious change from day to day and we were clear within a week. What else could be at play?

16. Back To Top    #16

Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see what it says. And retest CYA.
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

I did an OCLT two days ago...I have practically no overnight loss and barely any during the day. Why retest the CYA from two days ago? My CC is only .5 as well.

18. Back To Top    #18

Would you please post a picture? Maybe it is a metals issue. Let's take a look. I know it's frustrating.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by marlyu View Post
    I did an OCLT two days ago...I have practically no overnight loss and barely any during the day. Why retest the CYA from two days ago? My CC is only .5 as well.
    Ok, that is a good answer.
    TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Sorry. Reread your whole thread and you said you couldn't see the bottom. So that's more than a metals issue. Did you raise your slam/shock level to 20? Being at 16 isn't enough with a CYA of 50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast