Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a new marble dust "required"

1. Back To Top    #1

Is a new marble dust "required"

Hi All,

I am sure that this may have been discussed but I can't find a thread, so if there is one please point me in that direction. My gunite pool had a marble dusting probably about 11 years ago by a previous home owner. I bought my home about 2 years ago and do not have the money to spend on a new dusting or a liner ( I do not trust pool paint because of the horror stories). The plaster is very very rough on the feet, with a small hairline crack 1ft in length (no leaking) on the shallow end of the pool. In a few areas I can see the gunite coming through the plaster (small chips of a nickel size at most). My question is what is the worst that can happen if I do not redust in a reasonable amount of time? Could the concrete/gunite degrade or is the dusting mainly a tactile and visual thing? Obviously the pool would look better with a new plaster job, but I would rather save up a few years and get a pebble tec or something more interesting than just a plain plastering once I renovate the pool, patio, plumbing etc. Thanks for any feedback!
    Sharkline 54 matrix 15 x 26
    Pentair Clean & Clear 150SF Filter with 1-1/2 hp 2 speed Optiflow Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is a new marble dust "required"

Welcome to TFP!!

It's mostly aesthetic and tactile, though gunite will weep water a little without the plaster coat on it - I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference in water loss due to the small spots of uncoated gunite vs. normal evaporation I'd wait til you can afford the resurfacing and just spend a few bucks on some swim shoes
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Ted. My callouses build up nicely during the summer, so that should do!!!
    Sharkline 54 matrix 15 x 26
    Pentair Clean & Clear 150SF Filter with 1-1/2 hp 2 speed Optiflow Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Brian, more than happy to help!

This site and the BBB method are about saving pool owners $ and have better quality water!

Have a great summer and enjoy that pool
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)