Cloudy pool after PH + added

Hi everyone. Just took over this pool. In ground 23K gallons salt based. First test chlorine was off the chart (dark orange). PH test shows yellow! Alkalinity? Added 2 drops of #10, 5 drops of #20. Suppose to turn green but turn red at first drop. Waited a week , chlorine down to normal range. Added PH + but now the pool is cloudy. Please help. I am not sure what should be my next step. Thank you. Andre

It took a Google search to figure out that you live in the US Virgin Islands....that information is kinda important. So here's what you need to do -

Step 1- Sign up for a account on TFP. [CHECK, good job!!]

Step 1a- Please update your signature with all of your pool info and please update your location.

Step 2- Read through Pool School (big button at the top of the site).

Step 3- Order one of our recommended test kits (you really need to consider the test kit and investment in your pool)

Step 4- Post results from one of the recommended test kits and ask questions.

So, being in the Virgin Islands, can you get stuff from the States easily? Does Amazon work down there? You really need one of our recommended test kits because it's hard to give advice when you say the chlorine test is "dark orange", that's not useful info (the OTO test is basically nothing more than "presence of chlorine" test, there's no way to get definitive information from it). The test kits we recommend are professional kits that give you very exact pool water analysis and, best of all, you will never have to step foot in a pool store again if you own one.

Cloudiness is very common when adding pH-Up chemicals. It is basically washing soda, or sodium carbonate. It raises the pH and TA of the water dramatically and can cause calcium carbonate scale (that's the cloudiness you see). Assuming your pool water is balance (but how can we know that without good test information????), the cloudiness will be temporary and should resolve in about 24 hours (leave the pump running).

If you decide to follow the TFPC Method of pool care that we teach, you need that test kit. We can only help so much based on the less precise results from all the cheapo test kits on the market. We do not trust pool store results either, so don't even bother posting those.

Welcome to TFP!!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and detail instructions. Make sense. This is where I am so far:

Update signature: CHECK
Read pool school: IN PROGRESS
BY TEST KIT: I looked at your Kit Compared the LaMotte 7022 is "unavailable" when i try to buy it. Can I go with the LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit?

Thank you.

Andre

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.