Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool after PH + added

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool after PH + added

Hi everyone. Just took over this pool. In ground 23K gallons salt based. First test chlorine was off the chart (dark orange). PH test shows yellow! Alkalinity? Added 2 drops of #10, 5 drops of #20. Suppose to turn green but turn red at first drop. Waited a week , chlorine down to normal range. Added PH + but now the pool is cloudy. Please help. I am not sure what should be my next step. Thank you. Andre

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy pool after PH + added

It took a Google search to figure out that you live in the US Virgin Islands....that information is kinda important. So here's what you need to do -

Step 1- Sign up for a account on TFP. [CHECK, good job!!]

Step 1a- Please update your signature with all of your pool info and please update your location.

Step 2- Read through Pool School (big button at the top of the site).

Step 3- Order one of our recommended test kits (you really need to consider the test kit and investment in your pool)

Step 4- Post results from one of the recommended test kits and ask questions.

So, being in the Virgin Islands, can you get stuff from the States easily? Does Amazon work down there? You really need one of our recommended test kits because it's hard to give advice when you say the chlorine test is "dark orange", that's not useful info (the OTO test is basically nothing more than "presence of chlorine" test, there's no way to get definitive information from it). The test kits we recommend are professional kits that give you very exact pool water analysis and, best of all, you will never have to step foot in a pool store again if you own one.

Cloudiness is very common when adding pH-Up chemicals. It is basically washing soda, or sodium carbonate. It raises the pH and TA of the water dramatically and can cause calcium carbonate scale (that's the cloudiness you see). Assuming your pool water is balance (but how can we know that without good test information????), the cloudiness will be temporary and should resolve in about 24 hours (leave the pump running).

If you decide to follow the TFPC Method of pool care that we teach, you need that test kit. We can only help so much based on the less precise results from all the cheapo test kits on the market. We do not trust pool store results either, so don't even bother posting those.

Welcome to TFP!!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! Matt said it all. Best wishes!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you all for the warm welcome and detail instructions. Make sense. This is where I am so far:

Update signature: CHECK
    Read pool school: IN PROGRESS
    BY TEST KIT: I looked at your Kit Compared the LaMotte 7022 is "unavailable" when i try to buy it. Can I go with the LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit?

Thank you.

Andre
    Last edited by andre747; 08-23-2016 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Added test kit model
    - In ground rectangular
    - 23,000 gallons
    - Salt based
    - Pump: BAdu EcoM3 V
    - Filter Hayward C17502 Cartridge

5. Back To Top    #5

Finally received my 7022-01 kit. Here are the numbers. I tested the hardness twice. I tested my tap water to make sure i am doing it right which is at 100 ppm.

CH 4 ppm
    PH 7.0
    TA 420 ppm
    Hardness 1,420 ppm
    CYA 50

Any suggestions? Thank you. Andre
    - In ground rectangular
    - 23,000 gallons
    - Salt based
    - Filter Hayward C17502 Cartridge

6. Back To Top    #6

How does your water look now? And what type of interior pool surface do you have?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

water looks clear. tiles. Thank you!
    - In ground rectangular
    - 23,000 gallons
    - Salt based