Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about algaecide in closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about algaecide in closing

I'm not closing my pool yet because it is far too warm but I am wanting to be prepared for when I do. I am clear on all of the steps listed in this http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ove-group-pool except one. On the algaecide I currently have some Poolife brand Defend+ from when I was being pool stored that lists on the active ingredients 20% Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio) ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]. That's exactly how it is spelled and written and does not list any metals. I am assuming that would be Polyquat 20. Should I just scrap that bottle and get the Polyquat 60? This will be my first closing and next spring will be my first opening of an existing pool since I put it up. I definitely want to do an algaecide because I am 60 miles north of Dallas and we can get some cold spells but the temps can range pretty good too. I am hoping to open up to as clear of water as possible to convince some friends of mine that are still being pool stored that this is in fact the way to do things. I figure they will open up a swamp because the pools are both at around 75 degrees but we will still get warm spells and they are getting ready to close theirs already. So if they do open up to a swamp and I have nice clear water then I bet it will be the final nail in the coffin with the pool store for them...lol I know I sound like a jerk but I just want them to quit throwing $$$ at the pool store and still having algae. Thanks everyone!
    22' Round x 52" deep Coleman AGP, 12,500 gallons. Filled 5-1-16. XtremePowerUSA 4500 GPH 19" Sand Filter w/1.5 HP Pump. Hayward Dyna-Skim In The Wall Skimmer. Hard Plumbed w/2" PVC. PVC Aerator. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Above Ground Pool Cleaner. Whitesboro, TX (North Texas). Taylor K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chorine FAS-DPD. Use The Pool Math App By Trouble Free Pool For Logging.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Question about algaecide in closing

I am not sure about the algaecide. Personally, I would call the manufacturer. Non-Metallic Non Foaming PolyQuat 60 is what I have used for closing. Most manufacturers will probably not list that metals are in their product.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Should I just scrap that bottle and get the Polyquat 60?
    Absolutely. Historical evidence suggests it is clearly better.

Remember.....Close late.....open early.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone! @doc8404 that's the exact one I was looking at! @duraleigh Sounds good! I see the importance of closing late and opening early. I've already warned my husband that he is gonna think I'm crazy at opening so early and closing so late but that it all has to do with the science of a pool...lol
    22' Round x 52" deep Coleman AGP, 12,500 gallons. Filled 5-1-16. XtremePowerUSA 4500 GPH 19" Sand Filter w/1.5 HP Pump. Hayward Dyna-Skim In The Wall Skimmer. Hard Plumbed w/2" PVC. PVC Aerator. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Above Ground Pool Cleaner. Whitesboro, TX (North Texas). Taylor K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chorine FAS-DPD. Use The Pool Math App By Trouble Free Pool For Logging.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    This is what I used last year also. (Our 1st year with the pool) Closed late and opened to a clear pool this spring!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

So do you dump the polyquat in after draining the pool, and brush it around? seems the only way, unless you put it in before draining...

I would have missed this step myself if it wasn't asked... the pool store would just throw some kind of chlorine tabs in plastic bags in the pool for the winter.
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Put in before draining. Mix the water real well for about 24 hours and then drain (prior to closing). You can drain just above the skimmer first so you do not draw air and then drain below the skimmer after the 24 hours, etc.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013