Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my skimmer too low?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my skimmer too low?

You guys are always helpful in your opinions... what do you think? It just seems like once the tile is in place, that if the pool is ever more than full above half of the middle of the water tile that it will not work properly? I'm not sure how low the tile sits below the coping, but it just doesn't look right to me.

Thanks again.
    Pool-15x31', Spa-7x9', depth 3.5-6', HP Pentair Whisper Flow pump/motor, Intelliflo 8-160, 4-to-8 speed, Pentair 320 Clean and Clear capacity filter (upgraded to 400,000BTU stackless heater). Stacked stone- Autumn Rose Classic, tile- Ridgeline Blue Slate, coping- Turning Leaf Quartzite. Start date 7/12/16! Progress thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my skimmer too low?

Your skimmer looks pretty much like mine. They are not done.. When they add the tile to the sides and bottom, I believe that it will be just fine.

I suspect they have put in a few skimmers before and know what they are doing.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

A couple of reviews on yelp of my PB have stated their skimmer was installed too low. So, I want to make sure I'm doing everything on my end to assure it's right.
    Pool-15x31', Spa-7x9', depth 3.5-6', HP Pentair Whisper Flow pump/motor, Intelliflo 8-160, 4-to-8 speed, Pentair 320 Clean and Clear capacity filter (upgraded to 400,000BTU stackless heater). Stacked stone- Autumn Rose Classic, tile- Ridgeline Blue Slate, coping- Turning Leaf Quartzite. Start date 7/12/16! Progress thread

4. Back To Top    #4

Makes sense.. on mine, they added about 2" of mud on the bottom and then slopped the tile down to the skimmer. It would make sense to just talk with your PB and let him put your mind at rest. It would also not hurt if it were possible for you to be there when the tile is being installed.

I was personally amazed as to how the various trades building my pool always did things that allowed the next team to just continue along without having to go back and do something over. A very simple example: When they bent the rebar that was to tie into the decking up. I thought how can it possible tie in if it is pointed up in the air. But, when the decking crew came, it allow them the access to do all the deck drains and get their rebar in and everything prepped. Once that was done, the decking crew bent the rebar back down and tied it in the decking rebar. Not that we didn't have a few issues, but for the most part, the various crews worked flawlessly together.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Just figure where 1/2 way to 2/3 up in the skimmer opening is and that's going to be where your water line is. Looks about right to me.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!