Winterizing in Pacific NW. Help!

Sep 7, 2015
Sammamish
HI! Newbie on this site. :p:D:D:D:D
I have a 16X48 ultra frame INtex above ground pool. In love with my salt chlorinator. Never use chemicals all summer long. Just two bags of salt. 8th year of using a pool, first time considering winterizing.
We get rain, some freezing temps and every once in a while, snow for a day or two.

How do I winterize?
Questions:
1. Drain some water or not?
2. Keep pump on till lower than 60 degrees and then turn off pump and cap?
3. Best cover to buy?
4. What chemical system need to buy to winterize if any? Would love to do it with winterizing with salt but I saw on a previous thread that someone used a winterizing kit from Amazon?

Thank you for your advice!!!:cop:

Once the water temp is consistently below 60 degrees vacuum the pool and raise it to slam level. You may add a polyquat algaecide if you wish. Drain the pool below the skimmer if you have one. If you have the kind that hangs over the side you can remove it. Drain below the level of the returns and insert the plugs. Remove any hoses, drain and store them out of the weather. Drain the pump, filter, swg and store them out of the weather as well. Cover the pool.

You don't need a winterizing kit. Timing for closing and opening is important. If you close while it is too warm algae will get a chance to get started, same if you open too late. You want to close the pool when the water cools down and open after the last chance of a hard freeze, but before the water gets into the 70s. Any above ground pool cover will do, but you may have to get one slightly larger to fit a 16' pool. I don't think the intex covers are designed to carry a snow load.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.