Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae-Trying Again

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Mustard Algae-Trying Again

Hi there, Have been doing much reading. Appreciate all the info. Had a green swamp, then a mustard algae outbreak. Haven't started SWG as thought all the green might be bad for it when generating. Have used lots of bleach and kept the filter pump running for days. Was low on salt, added some early on. Thought it still low, but just checked and seems fine now. Maybe what was added wasn't completely dissolved. Know I need to adjust some things. Question, can I get an accurate CYA reading today, as it is cloudy? Last night about sundown, also cloudy, it looked like 10 or below. Today only slightly better after adding 22oz. liquid stabilizer last night. Do I trust it and add more stabilizer to bring it to 30? Then go for SLAM levels? At this point does the salt level make a difference? Should I start the SWG? Water is greenish blue, much better than it used to be. FC-.5 or lower. CC-1 or less. TA-90. pH-7.5. tested with TF-100.
    18' round AG Intex pool, 6,423 gal. w/vinyl liner, installed June 2015. Intex Sand Filter Pump, 14", Model SF15110. Intex SWG Model CS8110. Hand skimmer. Rural Water. TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mustard Algae-Trying Again

It might take a few days for the CYA to register. You can trust that it's in there.

Definitely start SLAMing. If you stop the algae just grows back. You've got to kill it all.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Mustard Algae-Trying Again

So what level of CYA do I use to calculate the bleach amount? Since it was liquid stabilizer, I thought it should register in an hour or so.
    18' round AG Intex pool, 6,423 gal. w/vinyl liner, installed June 2015. Intex Sand Filter Pump, 14", Model SF15110. Intex SWG Model CS8110. Hand skimmer. Rural Water. TF-100 Test Kit.