Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA confusion

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA confusion

I've been doing TFP for a little over a year now. Last year when I started my CYA was too high. Was told had to drain to get it right. I did so this spring.

I also added CYA through the sock up to 40ppm after I refilled this spring. Also this summer I floated tabs for a week when I left for vacation because my chlorinator was broken.

So today I'm checking cya, three times, and it's reading 0. How could that be true? I thought CYA didn't leave unless you drain the pool. I have been having to use too much liquid chlorine so I wanted to check if cya was low.

What gives? Advice?
    14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA confusion

I took my water to Leslie's & they say cya is 40. Anyone have experience with their tests for this?

14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

3. Back To Top    #3

The first thing I'd want to do is eliminate any testing error. Just to make sure you are doing it correctly, please list exactly how you are running the CYA test.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Filled up to bottom of label with water, to top with r013. Shook well, waited 30 seconds, shook again. Held long tube waste high with back to sun. Filled until black dot disappears which was never. R013 is a new bottle.