Plaster and Aquabright Comparison

Brian,

That is an excellent write-up on the general nature of AquaBright coatings, pros and cons. Well written, nicely articulated and with great image/examples. Well done, sir!

2a66938c3930f37e703ec8b001525cf3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The broken links and images were fixed so hopefully the thread can be viewed as it was before PhotoBucket lost their mind...

Thanks for doing that. I know what a PITA it is to have to go back and fix broken links. Learned that lesson the hard way when PB "lost" all my data....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Plaster and EcoFinish AquaBright Comparison

Bummer. Lee may be able to give better guidance on embedded content. I wonder if one of Vimeo's paid service tiers provides 3rd party hosting

Re: Plaster and EcoFinish AquaBright Comparison

Or maybe the Photo Gallery can also have a Video Gallery! It sure would make it easy to post up those GIFs!

There are lots of options being explored if the dang App issues would settle down....it's chewing up all of Lee's available bandwidth and most of what's left of his hair....

QUESTION:
how effective is the product from "shifting" if the underlying plaster can/will crack since it has less tolerance?

in other words, if you must have a good surface for application how would it hold up over time if the substrate shifts (think expansion contraction of clay soils). [aquabrite can hack it but plaster cant]

There are a lot of variables at play there. Typically highly expansive soil creates issues for the structural shell, not just the plaster and once the shell compromised, the plaster will surely crack as well.

Plaster has higher compressive strength than Gunite/Shotcrete so it is possible for the Shell to be slightly more ductile than the plaster. In that case the plaster can crack but hopefully not bad enough for the AquaBright coating to separate. The material has been tested an shown to be able to stretch 200X it's original shape before tearing.

All of that sounds good in theory but I don't really know how you could actually put it to the test. My gut feeling is that if shell cracks, everything else will as well, at least with the pools I've seen.

I've done a couple pools for Gardner in San Clemente that were all significant crack repairs on pools built on hillsides with very expansive soil. Their thought is the AquaBright will prevent a leak in the event of another crack at best, and worse case the repair will be much easier since the entire pool doesn't need to get chipped and replastered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.