California pool owners---Anybody have ash from the wildfires in your pool?

mbusd

Bronze Supporter
May 28, 2016
CA
Good Morning,

Last night I noticed lots of debris/bugs floating in my pool. Skimmed as best as I could and my first reaction was to freak out because I had no clue what it was. This morning my husband mentioned that it's probably ash from the wildfires a few hours away from us. Anybody else having this issue? If not, then maybe it's not ash I'm dealing with :confused:

My numbers just in case:

FC: 7.5
CC: 1
pH: 7.6
TA: 90
CH: 325
CYA: 65

We are up on a hillside and get ash from the wildfires every few years.

The recent santa clarita fire made quite a mess on our side of the hill - though the station fire was far far worse.

It takes awhile to vacuum out and clogs the filter fairly quick - but haven't see any other downsides really.

Wood ash, if fully charred and burned, will mostly just be carbon-soot, so more of a nuisance to your filter than anything else. There is an off-chance it could contain some excess potassium/sodium oxide (K2O or Na2O) which is caustic and will raise pH. But I doubt there will be any impact on pH unless you get a massive amount of ash in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.