Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: California pool owners---Anybody have ash from the wildfires in your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

California pool owners---Anybody have ash from the wildfires in your pool?

Good Morning,

Last night I noticed lots of debris/bugs floating in my pool. Skimmed as best as I could and my first reaction was to freak out because I had no clue what it was. This morning my husband mentioned that it's probably ash from the wildfires a few hours away from us. Anybody else having this issue? If not, then maybe it's not ash I'm dealing with

My numbers just in case:

FC: 7.5
    CC: 1
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 90
    CH: 325
    CYA: 65
    Pool finished in March 2016, 25k gal, white plaster IG pool, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Pressure Cleaner with Pentair Booster Pump, Natural rock waterfall with Pentair Waterfall specialty pump, Spa: Mastertemp 400 High Performance Heater, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: California pool owners---Anybody have ash from the wildfires in your pool?

We are up on a hillside and get ash from the wildfires every few years.

The recent santa clarita fire made quite a mess on our side of the hill - though the station fire was far far worse.

It takes awhile to vacuum out and clogs the filter fairly quick - but haven't see any other downsides really.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: California pool owners---Anybody have ash from the wildfires in your pool?

Wood ash, if fully charred and burned, will mostly just be carbon-soot, so more of a nuisance to your filter than anything else. There is an off-chance it could contain some excess potassium/sodium oxide (K2O or Na2O) which is caustic and will raise pH. But I doubt there will be any impact on pH unless you get a massive amount of ash in your pool.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates