Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine adding salt to pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine adding salt to pool

We have been successfully maintaining our pool through out this summer using using liquid chlorine at 10% and muriatic acid. I have Taylor test kit and use it faithfully. I was talking a friend that is in the pool maintenance business and told be that adding liquid chlorine adds salt to the water and can cause salt levels to be too high which can be corrosive. He is recommending a Taylor Test kit K1766. I do not have a SWG.

My question is do I really need to be concerned about this?

Thanks!
    18,000 in-ground pool, Pebble Fina Finish, 2hp Pentair pump, Hayward 311sx sand filter. KT 2006 Test kit Tabs/bleach

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Liquid Chlorine adding salt to pool

Every gallon of 10% chlorine adds 16ppm of salt. (Pool Math) Seeing how SWG pools are generally in the thousands, it's not a problem.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

No,

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) in chlorinating liquid or bleach, there is also around 8-9 ppm salt. When the chlorine gets used/consumed, there is another 8-9 ppm salt for a total of 17 ppm salt.

That means that all chlorine pools (except pools with SWG) have rising salt,

Will that sal become a problem. Generally no. Most folks salt will never get above 2000 or so. But you probably won't taste it till its above 6000. Ocean water is about 35000.

Harm the pool. If you have soft rock around the pool ----- maybe if it gets high enough. I would be much more concerned with ph and your total saturation index.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to all! Great info! Puts my mind at ease.
    18,000 in-ground pool, Pebble Fina Finish, 2hp Pentair pump, Hayward 311sx sand filter. KT 2006 Test kit Tabs/bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Trichlor, Dichlor, Cal-Hypo and LithHypo all add salt as well - though maybe a slightly lower rate.

Of all the chemicals that build up due to manual chlorination through any method - salt is the least offensive.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by aridpaul View Post
    We have been successfully maintaining our pool through out this summer using using liquid chlorine at 10% and muriatic acid. I have Taylor test kit and use it faithfully. I was talking a friend that is in the pool maintenance business and told be that adding liquid chlorine adds salt to the water and can cause salt levels to be too high which can be corrosive. He is recommending a Taylor Test kit K1766. I do not have a SWG.

My question is do I really need to be concerned about this?

Thanks!
    You may want to look in on this thread:
    I'm getting RO done this week

OP is also in AZ - climate is relevant, in terms of likelihood of eventually developing certain types of problems with your pool water.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits