First the black stain in the deep end and then the green water

I am new here. Never again to the pool supply store. Last night I used my test strip and the pH and all other readings were within an acceptable range. Two weeks ago I went to the pool supply store about the 3' x 1' black stain only in the deep end. They told me it was organic and to put in 'Leslie's Stain Remover' [ascorbic acid compound] followed an hour later by 'Natural Chemistry Metal Free'. It turned my water light green. I shocked it for two days and it was still green and we went on vacation for a week. Upon return I vacuumed and put in 'Aqua Chem Shock Xtra Blue, with algae fighting crystals' (63.05% Sodium dichlora-s- triazinetrione, 0.26% copper [metalic], 36.69% other ingredients) and it turned the water lime green. First, how do I get rid of the lime green? Second, once clear, how do I get rid of the black stain? Many thanks!

When using a SWCG your CYA should be in the 70-80ppm range.
If you're going to be draining off some water to get rid of the metals it's best to do that first. Where is the refill water coming from (city, well, ???). Might want to take a sample in to have it tested for metals so you know if the porblem is in the water or if dumping and refilling will indeed lower the level of what's in the pool.

We need to find out if draining is a remedy before we have you adding chemicals at your expense only to drain them out later.

Welcome, coach...hope you're planning to get your own TF-100 to manage all this going forward ;)

In the mean time, also lower your ph to 7.2, which will help keep your metals in solution. That's something you can do right now.

The black stain could be copper, especially since you're using an algaecide with copper, its possible your copper levels have gotten too high, in which case dilution is best. Did you confirm it wasn't organic? Did the pool store test show copper? (Dilution is usually best for copper because its rare to find much copper in source water...its usually added by product, mineral system, or corrosion of copper pipes or heat exchanger.)

Don't use metal free again, its not really the kind of sequestrant we recommend here...for SWG use Jacks Magic Purple specifically after you dilute, and do not shock/slam after using it because so-doing breaks the sequestrant down.

Later on, to treat the black stain, provided it tests positive to acid (or Jacks Stain Test kit) and actually is copper, you might want to consider trying this tool for a "spot" acid wash: Amazon.com: Purity Kit Underwater Acid Wash UAW: Home Audio Theater

If its copper staining, that will work best.

Lastly, this may be obvious to you by now, but no more pool store mixed elixirs or haphazzard guessing...that powder was adding copper. If you need to boost FC, use unscented bleach or pool store liquid chlorine only, and test your own water (http://www.tftestkits.com) use the [fc/cya][/FC/cya] chart's swg setting to dial in your water.

If you weren't really using much in the way of Algaecides with copper and if you pool store test showed copper (metals are one thing their testing can generally be accurate on) you might also want to check your heat exchanger if you have a heater for corrosion in the event that is leaching copper into your water.

Cheers to clear!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.