Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First the black stain in the deep end and then the green water

1. Back To Top    #1

Question First the black stain in the deep end and then the green water

I am new here. Never again to the pool supply store. Last night I used my test strip and the pH and all other readings were within an acceptable range. Two weeks ago I went to the pool supply store about the 3' x 1' black stain only in the deep end. They told me it was organic and to put in 'Leslie's Stain Remover' [ascorbic acid compound] followed an hour later by 'Natural Chemistry Metal Free'. It turned my water light green. I shocked it for two days and it was still green and we went on vacation for a week. Upon return I vacuumed and put in 'Aqua Chem Shock Xtra Blue, with algae fighting crystals' (63.05% Sodium dichlora-s- triazinetrione, 0.26% copper [metalic], 36.69% other ingredients) and it turned the water lime green. First, how do I get rid of the lime green? Second, once clear, how do I get rid of the black stain? Many thanks!
    Coach Mike, Scotch Plains, NJ
    in-ground, 33,000 gallons, Jandy Aqua Pure salt water generator, concrete

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First the black stain in the deep end and then the green water

How about some test results we can look at? Welcome. Please consider getting one of our recommended test kits.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

The only way to remove the copper from the pool is to drain and refill. A sequestrant will temporarily clear the water but regular addition of sequestrant is required. More here about metals, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains Some dry acid in a sock should lift the copper stain.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

My friend came over with his TF-100 test kit and these are the results:
    Chl 5.5
    Comb Chl 0.5
    Calcium Hardness 325
    Total Alkalinity 100
    pH 7.8
    CYA 35

Thank you for your help!
    Coach Mike, Scotch Plains, NJ
    in-ground, 33,000 gallons, Jandy Aqua Pure salt water generator, concrete

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

When using a SWCG your CYA should be in the 70-80ppm range.
    If you're going to be draining off some water to get rid of the metals it's best to do that first. Where is the refill water coming from (city, well, ???). Might want to take a sample in to have it tested for metals so you know if the porblem is in the water or if dumping and refilling will indeed lower the level of what's in the pool.

We need to find out if draining is a remedy before we have you adding chemicals at your expense only to drain them out later.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome, coach...hope you're planning to get your own TF-100 to manage all this going forward

In the mean time, also lower your ph to 7.2, which will help keep your metals in solution. That's something you can do right now.

The black stain could be copper, especially since you're using an algaecide with copper, its possible your copper levels have gotten too high, in which case dilution is best. Did you confirm it wasn't organic? Did the pool store test show copper? (Dilution is usually best for copper because its rare to find much copper in source water...its usually added by product, mineral system, or corrosion of copper pipes or heat exchanger.)

Don't use metal free again, its not really the kind of sequestrant we recommend here...for SWG use Jacks Magic Purple specifically after you dilute, and do not shock/slam after using it because so-doing breaks the sequestrant down.

Later on, to treat the black stain, provided it tests positive to acid (or Jacks Stain Test kit) and actually is copper, you might want to consider trying this tool for a "spot" acid wash: Amazon.com: Purity Kit Underwater Acid Wash UAW: Home Audio Theater

If its copper staining, that will work best.

Lastly, this may be obvious to you by now, but no more pool store mixed elixirs or haphazzard guessing...that powder was adding copper. If you need to boost FC, use unscented bleach or pool store liquid chlorine only, and test your own water (http://www.tftestkits.com) use the FC/CYA Chart chart's swg setting to dial in your water.

If you weren't really using much in the way of Algaecides with copper and if you pool store test showed copper (metals are one thing their testing can generally be accurate on) you might also want to check your heat exchanger if you have a heater for corrosion in the event that is leaching copper into your water.

Cheers to clear!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains