Cloudy pool in deep end

I can see the bottom, but it's still pretty cloudy, deep end only.

TC 9.8
FC 9.8
PH 7.4
TA 39 - THIS IS COMING UP NOW.
CH - 108
CYA - 80

Lots of trees and pollen in the air.
Very heavy rain in the last 2 weeks.
Had 2 trees cut down, some sawdust and debris was in the pool.

When I brush the bottom, clouds of dust come up.

I've been brushing, vacuuming to filter and letting the robot do its thing.

I just added 200ml of bioguard polysheen blue clarifier.

Chlorine is being added through sticks and a chlorinator.

How are you testing?

If that CYA is correct you are making your CYA worse with sticks and a chlorinator, if that means pucks.

Also we don't use clarifiers around here.

It's a new pool and I didn't know any better. I do know the relationship between sticks, pucks ect and CYU. I'll be changing to bleach at the end of this season... We close our pools in September/October around here.

I don't have the recommended test kit yet, but I will get one. Very hard to find one in Canada. Using strips and pool store testing, it's all I have at this point.

I can't imigaine that the CYU level is the cause of the cloudiness??

The clarifier was my last resort, couldn't find help.

Could any of the other factors I listed be the cause.

It's be nice to close the pool clear, makes for an easy open. I opened my pool in two hours last spring.

Once your CYA gets that high it get hard to keep the chlorine level high enough. See this chart. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart My guess is you don't have enough chlorine for whatever your CYA is and you have algae.

If you don't know your real CYA #, you don't know your target or minimum. And pool stores get CYA wrong more than any other #. You really need a good test kit to do anything.

Those aren't real numbers - but since you are almost closing let's pretend that they are.

What happened is your CYA is pretty high and you kept your FC levels fairly low so algae grew in the pool. It was probably there for awhile - unseen - and then some event happened and the algae was able to take hold.

If your CYA really was 80 we would suggest bringing the FC levels up to 30 - and holding them there until the pool was clear. See SLAM in pool school.

Other than that - brush and filter. Sand filters can be a little slow to clear the cloudiness.

Your going to need to add chlorine (not algaecide) and plenty of it- its going to be very hard to do this successfully without one of the recommended test kits. You need an accurate CYA number and the ability to measure high chlorine levels with a FAS DPD test for chlorine. This thread discusses how you might be able to get a K2006 (one of the recommended test kits in Canada).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the mean time, can I shut off the chlorinator, stop using the sticks and dump in some bleach or liquid chlorine and hope for the best??? Or bad idea?

It's not a bad idea. It's harder to SLAM properly without accurate numbers - but that just means it might not be as efficient.

I would stop using the sticks - your CYA is high enough to be causing trouble.

Keep your chlorine high using liquid chlorine - brush and filter. It'll clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.