Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you fine tune your SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you fine tune your SWG?

my SWG was installed a few weeks ago, got all the chemistries in order and tested for a couple days and thought I had it down.

I've been doing only PH tests and neglected to test for FC, Today after the kids used the pool for the first time in 3 weeks I decided to test again, my FC was at 4 when I last tested is now a whopping 10ppm with my SWG running only @ 40%.

Should I turn it off and let it drift down to 4ppm and start over?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you fine tune your SWG?

How long are you running your pump? If you want to run the pump a lot (say, for skimmer action) you just need to turn your % down.

For now, turn it down or off and let it drop a bit....but why aren't you testing more often?? That's just asking for trouble.

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

It takes some tweaking. Our temps dropped 25 degrees and I put the solar cover on to preserve heat and my FC was up to 20 ppm this afternoon. Lower temps, less swimming, solar cover all contribute to less chlorine demand. You'll get used to it. I meant to turn it down last weekend but forgot. I will say that a little extra FC is always better than a little less. And it is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart. I swam this afternoon for a bit and it was great.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    It takes some tweaking. Our temps dropped 25 degrees and I put the solar cover on to preserve heat and my FC was up to 20 ppm this afternoon. Lower temps, less swimming, solar cover all contribute to less chlorine demand. You'll get used to it. I meant to turn it down last weekend but forgot. I will say that a little extra FC is always better than a little less. And it is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart. I swam this afternoon for a bit and it was great.
    I have a variable speed pump so I tend to run it longer, about 10 hours.

PoolDV I think you nailed it, when I was testing I didnt' use a solar cover, I've had the cover on for the past weeks, my pool is 89 degrees with no heater, air temp has been around 85.

Surprisingly, my PH has been 7.4 this whole time.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

5. Back To Top    #5

Solar cover also slows outgassing of co2 and slows pH rise.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

10 ppm CL may not be too high and 4 might be too low. What is your CYA level?
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG