Moss rock as waterline tile?

Aug 1, 2016
Montgomery tx
Building salt ig pool and builder wants to put 28ft of moss rock across back of pool with waterfall on top. I know this will look great but shouldn't we use a waterline tile for longevity? I have seen some natural stone color waterline tiles that seem to work but I don't want those all around pool we want a blueish color, so I guess we could mix. Anyone tried this?

I'm not exactly sure what you think your PB intends to do. I have moss rock on the back of my pool but it is actually in the pool on a shelf so there is no tile in that section. But if you put the moss rock on top of the deck then you would still need tile.

While there are many pools constructed with natural rock in the pool that's not what is usually done. Most waterfalls are constructed on top of the bond beam and on top of a tile line.

Most pools have tile lines because they are easy to clean. It can be difficult to clean calcium buildup off of natural rocks or the cleaning solution may harm the rocks.

I would talk with your pool builder and clarify what he plans to do.

Thanks for your help. Pb likes the moss rock under waterfall for realistic look and I also, however I have seen several in person that were built this way and the white salt line across rocks looks bad and deteriorates into pool.
Anyone here have a pool that's 10 yrs or older built this way and still looks good?

My waterfall is built with natural stone and there's about a 5-ft section where the stones overhang the ledge and sit in the water (there are also a few under the water as well, so no water line tile in that section. They look ok but you can definitely see a waterline on them when the water level drops. I've also noticed that in two spots under the water where the pebbletec contacts the stones, I get growth of calcium carbonate crystals (looks like white fluffy stalactites). They rub right off, but it is interesting as it is the only spot in my pool where that happens. Also, calcium scale (looks like yellow-white mucous but it's solid) develops on any of the mortar surfaces as well as some of the stone surface. The only way to clean that with causing acid damage to the materials is to using a tile cleaning service that practices soda blasting. My waterline tile remains beautiful and scale free but the rocks in water act completely differently in terms of scale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.