Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Moss rock as waterline tile?

1. Back To Top    #1

Moss rock as waterline tile?

Building salt ig pool and builder wants to put 28ft of moss rock across back of pool with waterfall on top. I know this will look great but shouldn't we use a waterline tile for longevity? I have seen some natural stone color waterline tiles that seem to work but I don't want those all around pool we want a blueish color, so I guess we could mix. Anyone tried this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Moss rock as waterline tile?

I'm not exactly sure what you think your PB intends to do. I have moss rock on the back of my pool but it is actually in the pool on a shelf so there is no tile in that section. But if you put the moss rock on top of the deck then you would still need tile.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

3. Back To Top    #3

While there are many pools constructed with natural rock in the pool that's not what is usually done. Most waterfalls are constructed on top of the bond beam and on top of a tile line.

Most pools have tile lines because they are easy to clean. It can be difficult to clean calcium buildup off of natural rocks or the cleaning solution may harm the rocks.

I would talk with your pool builder and clarify what he plans to do.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your help. Pb likes the moss rock under waterfall for realistic look and I also, however I have seen several in person that were built this way and the white salt line across rocks looks bad and deteriorates into pool.
    Anyone here have a pool that's 10 yrs or older built this way and still looks good?

5. Back To Top    #5

My waterfall is built with natural stone and there's about a 5-ft section where the stones overhang the ledge and sit in the water (there are also a few under the water as well, so no water line tile in that section. They look ok but you can definitely see a waterline on them when the water level drops. I've also noticed that in two spots under the water where the pebbletec contacts the stones, I get growth of calcium carbonate crystals (looks like white fluffy stalactites). They rub right off, but it is interesting as it is the only spot in my pool where that happens. Also, calcium scale (looks like yellow-white mucous but it's solid) develops on any of the mortar surfaces as well as some of the stone surface. The only way to clean that with causing acid damage to the materials is to using a tile cleaning service that practices soda blasting. My waterline tile remains beautiful and scale free but the rocks in water act completely differently in terms of scale.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for verifying that for me I was on the fence but unless the PB has other info, I'm using a natural looking tile under water fall. Thanks again.