Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black algae help

1. Back To Top    #1

Black algae help

I have black algae and the pool is a little cloudy. I took a water sample in to the local pool store. They said I needed to lower my phosphates which is at 1000. They said since I live near farms that's why it's high. To reduce this and get rid of the algae they said I need 1. phosphate remover 2. 6 gal of chlorine 3. 1/4 gal of acid and rub a chlorine puck directly onto the algae.
    Here's my numbers:
    Cl =0, ph =7.6, alk =200, stab =100, hardness =1000+, phosphates =1000

All advice and help welcomed to remedy this issue and continued maintenance.
    Thanks
    18000 gal pool, echotech ez variable speed pump, ultrapure ozone generator, Polaris caretaker pop ups and jandy cl460 cart filters.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black algae help

I would do the test listed in this article to confirm if it was black algae: Pool School - Black Algae

If you are interested in learning about the methods we use here, know that they are contradictory with pool store methods. You can read more here: Pool School - What is TFPC?

3. Back To Top    #3

We do not recommend phosphate removers as algae prevention. We use Chlorine to prevent algae.

Step 1 is to get a good test kit, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net.

Read here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    And here, Pool School - Getting Started

This is how we kill algae, SLAM
    More here on black algae, Pool School - Black Algae
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks
    18000 gal pool, echotech ez variable speed pump, ultrapure ozone generator, Polaris caretaker pop ups and jandy cl460 cart filters.