Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new 18x36 liner pool

1. Back To Top    #1

new 18x36 liner pool

I am having to always add chlorine and acid to the pool. Get it right and then a day or two later is it is far out of whack agin. I need a better way to take care of the water. I would love to just be able to check something once a week or once every two weeks and do it all automated. Any help is great!
    New 2016 in ground liner pool, 18x36, 23,000 gallons, pentair 1.5 hp pump, iC40 chlorine generator, sand filter, well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new 18x36 liner pool

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

Your IC40 chlorinator would provide 2.5 ppm FC in about 8 hours at 100%, though you might need more than that on a hot day with lots of swimming, up to as much as 4 ppm FC which would need about 13 hrs at 100%. If the pool is using more chlorine than that, you could check for organic contamination by doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT), linked here: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

You might be able to lower your total alkalinity to decrease the frequency of acid additions. Post test results if you like. You could take your acid lower between additions, although you might consume more acid if you do that. Another option is plumb in an acid dosing pump.

I hope the swimming has been good there
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. What is the best method to lower the alkalinity? How do you check the ppm on the salt? The iC40 tells you to add but you dont know how much. I will set timer to run 14 hours per day and try that too.
    New 2016 in ground liner pool, 18x36, 23,000 gallons, pentair 1.5 hp pump, iC40 chlorine generator, sand filter, well water

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Here ya go! Hope this helps

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Get a recommended test kit if you don't already have one. TF100 or K-2006. TF100 is the most recommended on this site: TFTestkits.net
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

6. Back To Top    #6

got a k2006 coming, will get it a post the water results and get a handle on the pool. Thanks