Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool newbie, just got my first TF-100 results, please help with a plan of action!

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile Pool newbie, just got my first TF-100 results, please help with a plan of action!

Hello TFP! I'm a pool newbie. I just got my first results from a TF-100 kit. Please help me decide on a plan of action to get things straightened out.

2016-08-19 (Friday)
    FC: 0.5
    CC: 0.0
    TC: 0.5
    CH: 125 PPM
    TA: 0
    CYA: 100

What do I do first?

Thank you for your help! This seems like a great forum and great community.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool newbie, just got my first TF-100 results, please help with a plan of action!

Just added some pool info. to my signature. More to come later!
    13,600 gallon (round, 24' diameter, 4' deep), above ground, Pentair OptiFlo 1.5 HP 2S pump, Pentair EasyClean ECDE90 filter, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool newbie, just got my first TF-100 results, please help with a plan of action!

Just a quick thought - I don't think TA can be 0; where is your pH and finally, if you're hitting CYA @ 100, it's likely higher, maybe much higher. There is a method for checking for higher CYA levels - sorry, I don't recall - someone else will chime in, I'm sure.

pH is really important - run it and the TA per instructions with the kit.

How's the water look??
    16K gal, IG Free-Form Plaster (1986), 1 HP Pentair Superflo pump, PAC FAB FNS-36 DE Filter, Polaris 280, Screened, Cool Deck.
    Solar Heater
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Here are the more detailed instructions,Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by viking68 View Post
    Just a quick thought - I don't think TA can be 0; where is your pH and finally, if you're hitting CYA @ 100, it's likely higher, maybe much higher. There is a method for checking for higher CYA levels - sorry, I don't recall - someone else will chime in, I'm sure.

pH is really important - run it and the TA per instructions with the kit.

How's the water look??
    TA was zero because it was red immediately - drops made no color difference!

I did not run the OTO or pH tests...I will do that and get results posted ASAP!

The water looks fine. Not cloudy. Some debris in it...bugs/leaf particles. No/little algae...I did notice some green spots forming on the bottom in a shadier side of the pool, but was able to scrub them off and that was ~1 week ago. Haven't noticed them since.
    13,600 gallon (round, 24' diameter, 4' deep), above ground, Pentair OptiFlo 1.5 HP 2S pump, Pentair EasyClean ECDE90 filter, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like the PH has crashed. Do you chlorinate with trichlor pucks? That is probably the culprit. With TA at 0 your pH is somewhere around 4.5. Washing soda will raise PH and TA. Use PoolMath to calculate the dose. Don't add it all at once, go maybe a third at a time until the PH shows on the test. More here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, the prior owner used pucks in a floater.

What about the CYA levels? How do I lower those?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You lower the CYA by draining half your water and refilling. Do NOT underestimate the need to get your pH up....it should be a priority.

Raise your TA first until you at least get a reading, even if it's only 20-30.

Then raise pH to 7.5 and repeat TA test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Update...so I decide to do a drain on the pool to try to reduce the CYA levels. I drained probably 40% of the pool and refilled.

These are my new numbers:

2016-08-23 (Tuesday)

FC: 0.0
    TC: 0.0
    CYA: 90
    OTO: < lowest
    pH: < lowest

My CYA did not go down as much as I hoped! My prior readings had the CYA higher than 100, but still, I expected it to go down further. Maybe I'm doing the black dot test wrong?

Anyways, I switched focus to the pH and put in 3/4 gallon of soda ash just now, so we'll see how that hits the TA and pH. PoolMath says I should have put in ~2 gallons to hit TA of 100, but I ran out and need to pick some more up tomorrow.

When should I start adding bleach to get my FC back up? Should I try to get the pH straightened out first?

10. Back To Top    #10

"When should I start adding bleach to get my FC back up?"

Immediately!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by zapados View Post
    Update...so I decide to do a drain on the pool to try to reduce the CYA levels. I drained probably 40% of the pool and refilled.

These are my new numbers:

2016-08-23 (Tuesday)

FC: 0.0
    TC: 0.0
    CYA: 90
    OTO: < lowest
    pH: < lowest

My CYA did not go down as much as I hoped! My prior readings had the CYA higher than 100, but still, I expected it to go down further. Maybe I'm doing the black dot test wrong?

Anyways, I switched focus to the pH and put in 3/4 gallon of soda ash just now, so we'll see how that hits the TA and pH. PoolMath says I should have put in ~2 gallons to hit TA of 100, but I ran out and need to pick some more up tomorrow.

When should I start adding bleach to get my FC back up? Should I try to get the pH straightened out first?
    Don't worry about raising TA any more, let's see where your pH is first.

While the CYA test is difficult at first, I'm sure that it was much higher than 100ppm to start with. Did you do the extended test before you drained?

As mentioned, get chlorine in that pool.
    Last edited by domct203; 08-24-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes my first results where pre-drain (first post). And it was over under the 100 line, but the test says go to the closest line. It was probably way over.

OK I'll add chlorine tonight right after testing pH and TA again. I'll probably re-test the CYA and add chlorine based on that value.

13. Back To Top    #13

So I tossed in 55 oz of washing soda and 121 oz of bleach last night. Today I got my first TA reading that wasn't 0 -- cool!

2016-08-25 (Thursday)
    FC: 5.5
    CC: 0.5
    TC: 6.0

TA: 40
    pH: still under lowest, bet it's 6.0.

Based on those results, I tossed in another 55 oz of washing soda and ~32 oz of bleach.

Question: it seems like my TA is going higher than my pH. Once my TA hits the 100 - 120 range, how do I get JUST my pH up?

14. Back To Top    #14

Muriatic Acid, your new best friend
    Central Md. 37 X 21 24K IG Custom Gunite with Anvil Quartz finish. Raised Spa.
    Sta-Rite Natural Gas Heater. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sta-Rite 450 sq ft. Cartridge Filter.
    Pentair 1.5 Hp Variable Speed Pump. TF100. Dolphin Z-5. First swim 5/26/16

15. Back To Top    #15

Last night I added a box of Borax, and this is what I'm at now:

2016-08-30 (Tuesday)
    FC: 10.0
    CC: 0.5
    TC: 10.5
    TA: 130
    CYA: 80
    OTO: 5.0
    pH: 6.8

My pH finally registers, but the Borax seems to have moved the TA more than I wanted (the TA was 110 before I added the Borax).

Is there any way to raise the pH without changing the TA? I thought Borax was the ticket, but it messed with my TA more than I thought!

Thank you for your help. I'm getting close to having this down!

16. Back To Top    #16

Aeration will raise the PH without affecting anything else.
    Central Md. 37 X 21 24K IG Custom Gunite with Anvil Quartz finish. Raised Spa.
    Sta-Rite Natural Gas Heater. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sta-Rite 450 sq ft. Cartridge Filter.
    Pentair 1.5 Hp Variable Speed Pump. TF100. Dolphin Z-5. First swim 5/26/16