New VS pool pump--any tips on usage?

So we just upgraded to a Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST variable speed pool pump, from a super old Hayward max-flo something or other. So the guys left it on when they left, but a few hours later I went out to check it out and I realize I have no idea how to use it. With the old pump (and accessory pump, which i no longer use), they were on a timer with these two dial things with the movable metal "start" and "stop" things. Do I still use the ON switch from the dial associated with the main pump? It definitely works to turn the power off, but when I turned it off, but the screen on the pump showed an alarm, or something, for "power failure." Anyway, they didn't tell me ANYTHING about how to use this thing, so I was hoping y'all might have some pointers for me, like stuff I wont find in the instruction manual :D . Thanks!

Most everything is in the manual. If it's still wire to the old timer they probly just have it set to no off times. That's how mine is. The old timer is more of a service disconnect now. Make sure you set the pump up to optimize energy efficiency. Alot of people still don't realize that with these vs pumps slower rpm at longer run times is cheaper than higher rpms with less run time
So we just upgraded to a Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST variable speed pool pump, from a super old Hayward max-flo something or other. So the guys left it on when they left, but a few hours later I went out to check it out and I realize I have no idea how to use it. With the old pump (and accessory pump, which i no longer use), they were on a timer with these two dial things with the movable metal "start" and "stop" things. Do I still use the ON switch from the dial associated with the main pump? It definitely works to turn the power off, but when I turned it off, but the screen on the pump showed an alarm, or something, for "power failure." Anyway, they didn't tell me ANYTHING about how to use this thing, so I was hoping y'all might have some pointers for me, like stuff I wont find in the instruction manual :D . Thanks!

jemc,

That pump is designed to have constant 220 volt power applied at all times. As barnnns1 says, above, the old timer should be nothing more than a way to turn the power off for maintenance, it should no longer be an operational timer.

You need to review the manual and get a feel for what the pump does and how to program it.

What most people do is run the pump most of the time on a low RPM setting like 1,000 RPM, or so, for filtering. Then you can have it speed up once or twice a day to say 1,600 RPM for an hour or so, which helps with the Skimmer action. And finally, some might ramp it up to 2,500 RPM to run a cleaner.

Your specific speeds, and specific program, is based up your pool and what you decide what works for you. You can't hurt it, play with different speeds for different functions, and decide what works best for you and your pool.

The good thing about the newer version that you have is that the control screen can be rotated to allow you to see the screen for programming. If I had to program mine, an older one, I'd have to stand upside and read everything with a mirror. ;)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.