Will these plaster colors overheat my south Florida pool?

Jun 22, 2016
FL
I've narrowed down the plaster texture/colors we like to the below four medium to deep blue colors. Most of them are a light blue, grey, or even black base color. Will these make my pool much warmer than a white based Quartz plaster? I've seen a lot of discussion on the general darker colors, but not these specific colors. Thanks for the help!

Finest Finish blue frost
Pebblesheen blue granite
Hydrazzo Classico oceana blue
Gemstone radiant fusion topaz
Wet Edge indigo blue

Untitled by fsubk, on Flickr

It might, but IMO, it also depends on the depth of your water. Really shallow pools can get swampy warm late in the season compared to deeper pools. Handy to know and use to your advantage when your pool is in upstate NY, but definitively could be a downer in the deep hot south, y'know?

I don't think it will make enough difference to make you not get the color you like best. The problem with this question is that there aren't many people who have started with one color plaster and replastered to another to be able to make a valid comparison.

yea we are either going 3.5 - 5 feet or 4-5 feet, so relatively shallow.

Jbizzle, how warm does your pool get in the summer? I'd imagine Tucson is comparable to south Florida, if not hotter in the summer. I LOVE Blue Granite color.

- - - Updated - - -

I have blue granite. I am sure it is likely slightly warmer than white, but I have no comparison.
do you have a link to your pool pics?

Water is about 87 now, but the solar might still be running a bit in the morning. With the solar we were swimming in March.

Unless you go very very dark, I am not sure there is a huge temp difference.

I have a picture in the "your pool from space" thread somewhere. There is a slight green tint to the water.

I've read several studies on this topic and even compared my pool temp to neighbors with different colored finishes. The color makes little to no difference in depths greater than 8"-12" and those shallow areas are so much proportionately smaller than the remainder of the pool that there will be little impact on temperature at all.

The colors you are looking at really aren't that dark anyway. Pick the color you like the look of, the temperature can always be adjusted especially if you end up with a heat pump that can also cool the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also have blue granite. Maybe it is slightly warmer, don't know since I did not have white before. The color is is worth it for sure. See my build for pics. We have a screen enclosure and that has kept the temp from getting too high.

Thanks, Matt. I just checked out your build. Love it! On a separate topic, how do you like the 3.5' shallow end? Especially with the kids? I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on it. We have 3 kids - 2.5 yrs and 6mo twins.

Thanks, Matt. I just checked out your build. Love it! On a separate topic, how do you like the 3.5' shallow end? Especially with the kids? I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on it. We have 3 kids - 2.5 yrs and 6mo twins.
Would not go any less than 3.5". The 4ft end is more popular. The little ones play on steps, sun-shelf until them once they are swimming, it does not matter much.

3.5 is too shallow for us. We've had lots of kids in the pool over the years, all ages, and none of them stay in the 3.5 area. They are all over the pool all the time. They do like to hang out on benches to rest, throw stuff at each other and jump off. Our next pool will be 4x5x4.

3.5 is too shallow for us. We've had lots of kids in the pool over the years, all ages, and none of them stay in the 3.5 area. They are all over the pool all the time. They do like to hang out on benches to rest, throw stuff at each other and jump off. Our next pool will be 4x5x4.
I pretty much agree with this. Our 3.5' is really on right at the base of the steps. It goes to 4 quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.