Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will these plaster colors overheat my south Florida pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will these plaster colors overheat my south Florida pool?

I've narrowed down the plaster texture/colors we like to the below four medium to deep blue colors. Most of them are a light blue, grey, or even black base color. Will these make my pool much warmer than a white based Quartz plaster? I've seen a lot of discussion on the general darker colors, but not these specific colors. Thanks for the help!

Finest Finish blue frost
    Pebblesheen blue granite
    Hydrazzo Classico oceana blue
    Gemstone radiant fusion topaz
    Wet Edge indigo blue

Untitled by fsubk, on Flickr

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will these plaster colors overheat my south Florida pool?

bump for added pics.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have blue granite. I am sure it is likely slightly warmer than white, but I have no comparison.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

It might, but IMO, it also depends on the depth of your water. Really shallow pools can get swampy warm late in the season compared to deeper pools. Handy to know and use to your advantage when your pool is in upstate NY, but definitively could be a downer in the deep hot south, y'know?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think it will make enough difference to make you not get the color you like best. The problem with this question is that there aren't many people who have started with one color plaster and replastered to another to be able to make a valid comparison.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

yea we are either going 3.5 - 5 feet or 4-5 feet, so relatively shallow.

Jbizzle, how warm does your pool get in the summer? I'd imagine Tucson is comparable to south Florida, if not hotter in the summer. I LOVE Blue Granite color.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I have blue granite. I am sure it is likely slightly warmer than white, but I have no comparison.
    do you have a link to your pool pics?

7. Back To Top    #7

My PB has lots of Pebble Tec pics. Reber Pools

My build thread link is in my sig.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Water is about 87 now, but the solar might still be running a bit in the morning. With the solar we were swimming in March.

Unless you go very very dark, I am not sure there is a huge temp difference.

I have a picture in the "your pool from space" thread somewhere. There is a slight green tint to the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I've read several studies on this topic and even compared my pool temp to neighbors with different colored finishes. The color makes little to no difference in depths greater than 8"-12" and those shallow areas are so much proportionately smaller than the remainder of the pool that there will be little impact on temperature at all.

The colors you are looking at really aren't that dark anyway. Pick the color you like the look of, the temperature can always be adjusted especially if you end up with a heat pump that can also cool the water.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I also have blue granite. Maybe it is slightly warmer, don't know since I did not have white before. The color is is worth it for sure. See my build for pics. We have a screen enclosure and that has kept the temp from getting too high.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    I also have blue granite. Maybe it is slightly warmer, don't know since I did not have white before. The color is is worth it for sure. See my build for pics. We have a screen enclosure and that has kept the temp from getting too high.
    Thanks, Matt. I just checked out your build. Love it! On a separate topic, how do you like the 3.5' shallow end? Especially with the kids? I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on it. We have 3 kids - 2.5 yrs and 6mo twins.

12. Back To Top    #12

For real-world experience, I would say these colors will not impact your pool temp because there are so many other variables to account for. At best, it's negligible.

My advice: get what your wife loves.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by grumpiebk View Post
    Thanks, Matt. I just checked out your build. Love it! On a separate topic, how do you like the 3.5' shallow end? Especially with the kids? I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on it. We have 3 kids - 2.5 yrs and 6mo twins.
    Would not go any less than 3.5". The 4ft end is more popular. The little ones play on steps, sun-shelf until them once they are swimming, it does not matter much.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

3.5 is too shallow for us. We've had lots of kids in the pool over the years, all ages, and none of them stay in the 3.5 area. They are all over the pool all the time. They do like to hang out on benches to rest, throw stuff at each other and jump off. Our next pool will be 4x5x4.
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    3.5 is too shallow for us. We've had lots of kids in the pool over the years, all ages, and none of them stay in the 3.5 area. They are all over the pool all the time. They do like to hang out on benches to rest, throw stuff at each other and jump off. Our next pool will be 4x5x4.
    I pretty much agree with this. Our 3.5' is really on right at the base of the steps. It goes to 4 quickly.
    Matt
    SWG Run Time Calculator