Ozonenator

Aug 6, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi, newbie here! When we bought our above ground pool, we were sold the ozonenator (O3) as the SW system was not a fit for the family.

Question: my understanding of using the ozonenator translates into less chlorine in the pool as O3 destroys bacteria and viruses.

Assuming this is correct, when figuring out the amount of chlorine that needs to be added to the pool, what should the chlorine ppm be?!

I would assume lower since the ozonenator is picking up some of the sanitary load, right!?

Any guidance on the topic would be appreciated.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

The google ozoneators on this forum and read the threads. I am afraid you will find there are not many fans of ozoneators on this forum.

You will read in "ABC's" the amount of chlorine in your pool is a ratio of the amount of CYA in your pool.

I know that's not the question you asked but it's the basis for any discussion of them. Lot's to read.

You need to keep your FC to CYA ratio the same as found in pool school regardless of what kinds of other sanitizing systems are installed.

Those ratios are designed to keep a minimum amount of hypochlorous acid (the active form of chlorine) in the bulk pool water - typically around 0.05ppm HOCL. Much much less HOCL than your drinking water.

If you keep your numbers below that you

1) Promote algae growth in the pool
2) risk bather to bather disease transmission

UV and ozone systems work best for public pools with large bather loads - they help destroy the relatively large amounts of waste generated by a lot of swimmers and thus reduce chlorine usage - but it doesn't change the minimum amount of HOCL one wants to keep in the pool.

Since you have an private outdoor pool the sun will provide all the UV you need and the bather load will not be an issue - so the ozoneator doesn't have much sanitary load to pick up.

Again - the minimum amount of sanitizer that should be in the bulk pool water never changes. The only thing the ozoneator could possibly affect is the amount of FC you lose per day.

Also for a well balanced pool with light swimmer and other organic load an ozonator will actually increase the chlorine consumption not decrease it. Only in an out of balance pool with something trying to grow in it will an ozonator decrease chlorine consumption. Lots or marketing half truths out there

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.