Optimal GPM flow rate for filtering and backwashing.

crashxx

Gold Supporter
Jan 11, 2016
Oklahoma
I have a pentair TR-100 and a pentair Inteliflo VS (3hp) pump. I have installed a Flovis check valve / flow meter between the filter and heater. I think the pump is capable of 140 GPM. I'm sure this is the max under optimal conditions, but it will peg the flovis at 100 GPM pretty easy. I believe the max flow for my valve, filter, & heater is 125 GPM. My questions are, what is the max GPM I should ever run under any circumstance? What is the optimal GPM for the sand filter to work best? I understand slower is better for the filter. If I understand right more flow is slightly more efficient for heating than less flow. Is higher GPM better for backwash/rinse? If so, how much? I have 2" sch40 everywhere. Thanks for the help!

I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm for filtering, skimming and making chlorine with the SWG. And 1950 rpm for solar heating. It uses 150 ways and 550 watts respectively.

At 1100 rpm I think I'm only pushing 10 or 20 GPM. Is that enough for filtering?
It is better than at max flow rate. At max flow rate, you can push the debris all the way through the filter. But in general, for a sand filter, it would be best to stay below 15 GPM/sq-ft if possible.

Ok, I think I'll set my max speed to 100 gpm. i will use that for back washing. I figure I'll run 80 gpm to heat, then set the other two speeds for filtering at 15 gpm and 40 gpm. Does that sound reasonable?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The heater is a little bit more efficient at higher flow rates while the pump is a lot more inefficient at higher flow rates. If you compare the two, the pump probably has the biggest financial impact.

Heater manufactures generally put quite a bit of margin into their minimum numbers so I think it is very safe to run close to the minimum. Plus there are safeguards built into the heater such as pressure switch and thermal switch that will trip if the flow rate is too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.