Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Build in NE Florida

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build in NE Florida

Hello All! Getting ready to start a new IG pool build in Jacksonville, FL. This will be our first pool and TFP has been a terrific resource so far. It took us a while to interview a number of PB in our area but we finally settled on one we're comfortable with. Same PB did pools for a couple of friends plus they gave me contact info for a couple other previous customers that we were able to go visit to see their work. Local family business for about the past 30 plus years. They do most of the work in-house with few sub-contractors other than plasterer and electric. Currently waiting on county permitting which could be a couple more weeks. In the meantime I thought I would throw out the details of the build and welcome any feedback.

Design: Freeform shape (No spa)
    Size: Roughly 30 x 20 at the longest and widest points), approximately 400sq ft. PB estimates about 12K gallons
    Depth: 3.5 to 5.5
    Shell: 5500 Shotcrete , Steel Reinforced
    Interior Finish: CLI Sunstone Pearl pebble (Blue Pearl color)
    Tile: 6"x6" waterline, 2"x6" trim caps on steps (not sold on the trim caps yet so those are TBD)
    Deck: Pavers, Tremron Stonehurst (Color still TBD)
    Equipment:
    - Pentair Cartridge Filter
    - Pentair Intelliflo VS pump
    - Pentair Intellichlor SWG
    - Hayward Pool Vac cleaner with designated line
    U3 Skimmer
    3 - 1" directional eyeball returns
    2x Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights with controller
    Maintenance equip: Telescopic pole, net, brush, vacuum head and test kit
    Water Feature: 1 concrete scupper fountain bowl
    Screen enclosure 18/14, Mansard roof, two 4ft doors (one on each side)

I plan to have the electrician also add additional receptacles on the rear corners of the deck inside the enclosure. Where I can add them I'm pretty sure will depend on the specific electrical codes but based on my research it looks like I should be OK at both back corners at least since I have more than 6' of deck between the water and the back of the deck. Aside from this, the only other things I've upgraded so far are the VS pump and the LED lights. So there it is for now! Looking forward to sharing the progress here once it gets started. All feedback is welcome. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Build in NE Florida

Welcome, congrats, and good luck on your build! Any pics of the design or current backyard to share?

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds great. My build was similar in size. If you can get him to drop some cash off, I would consider forging the vacuum. Leave the designated line for use with a manual vac. But in regard to the vacuum itself, he is probably paying $200 to $300 and I would rather save that $ and get a robotic cleaner in the $500 to $600 range. Up to you but I sure wish I did that. I had the option too.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

GOODIE! I another FL person! HI!!

Please take and share a picture of where the pool will be going!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Congrats, some suggestions if I may?
    1. Speaking from experience. Put in a double door on one of the sides. I only had one door and ended up putting in a double door and another single door on the opposite side. I should have listened to my wife
    2. Plan on plumbing electrical and water for a future summer kitchen.
    3. Plan on adding solar and heat pump in your equipment pad.
    4. Make sure that you have a very large equipment pad.
    5. Put in water spigots in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
    6. Put in electrical outlets in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
    7. Go with a large outdoor space as possible. We have 1800sq ft of pavers and we wish we did a larger space. You will be quite surprised how much room tables chairs and lounges take up.
    8. Run conduits for speaker wires if you plan on wired speakers.
    Look at the 3 links in my signature bar for ideas. Post lots of pics
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm a little challenged for space since my backyard is a sort of a reverse pie shape. The deck you see in the rendering is maxed out to the allowable setbacks so it's as big as I can go. It won't be huge but it should be comfortable for some basic furniture and a grill. As much as I'd love to do an outdoor kitchen I don't really have the space unless it was pretty small.

Here are a few shots...

PB rendering

Pool diagram

Google earth view

Photo

From back fence

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

dd,

I agree with Matt on the cleaner. Pump powered cleaners are like rotary dial phones, while Robots are more like today cell phones. You won't find many people that have converted to robot cleaner who would ever go back to a pump powered cleaner.

Get a Robot.. you can thank me later..

Regards,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    dd,I agree with Matt on the cleaner. Pump powered cleaners are like rotary dial phones, while Robots are more like today cell phones. You won't find many people that have converted to robot cleaner who would ever go back to a pump powered cleaner.Get a Robot.. you can thank me later.. Regards,Jim R.
    Any particular robot you would recommend?

9. Back To Top    #9

So after many delays with county permitting, PB scheduling and Hurricane Matthew we are finally underway! the dig was actually started BEFORE Matthew arrived but the PB team did a pretty strong job of prepping it prior to the storm so there was little impact and they were able to finish the dig Monday. They got the rebar finished yesterday. Inspection was scheduled for today and they plan to shoot the shell tomorrow. Definitely staying home from work to watch!

1st time pool owner, New build in progress, 13.5K gal, 20x30 freeform shape IG, Shotcrete/CLI Sunstone Blue Pearl Pebble, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair CC150 cartridge filter, IC40 SWG, Intellibrite 5G color changing LEDs

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ddjax View Post
    Any particular robot you would recommend?
    Well, I have two older dolphins at rent houses, and one newer dolphin at my house. I really like them, but my next one, when the time comes, will be a Discovery... see this ... First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

11. Back To Top    #11

Congratulations on your dig! Looks good and that's great they took care of it before Mathew. Post some pix of your finishes if you get a chance

We're in St. John's county and will hopefully have our dig starting soon if we can sort out a couple of things.

12. Back To Top    #12

Here are some pics of the pool finish, pavers and waterline tile. Hoping that the waterline tile will tie in well with the water color of the Blue Pearl pebble finish.

Here is the paver and pool finish combo from another pool in the area but with different waterline tile than ours

1st time pool owner, New build in progress, 13.5K gal, 20x30 freeform shape IG, Shotcrete/CLI Sunstone Blue Pearl Pebble, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair CC150 cartridge filter, IC40 SWG, Intellibrite 5G color changing LEDs

13. Back To Top    #13

Those will look great together!!! That's the Sierra color for the Tremron? CLI makes a beautiful finish!!! Are you doing a cage?
    Dream freeform pool 34 x 19 w/sheer descent waterfall, 7 ft spa with 6 jets W/ Jandy T3000 heater, doggie deck (sun shelf) with with Jandy Nicheless LED 9 w Watercolor light and a wrap bench to spa, 831 sq ft of paver decking ( Belgard Mega-Cambridge paver in Aragon), Pebble Tec finish in Midnight Blue with Shimmering Sea (abalone), I-Auqualink PS4 with spa side switch/remote. Pool and deck area to be screen enclosed.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes on the cage, wouldn't have a pool in FL without one. I hate bugs and don't want to deal with leaves, pine needles and everything else that falls all over my back yard now

15. Back To Top    #15

They shot the shell today. I took the day off from work to watch the Shotcrete process... pretty impressive. This team of guys has been working together for 20+ years and it showed. Definitely the most fun part of the build to watch so far. They showed up early this morning around 6:30 and had it all completed by about 1:30. That's including an hour or so they lost because they sent the first cement truck back to the plant (mix wasn't they way they wanted it for the pump). Looking much more like a pool now

16. Back To Top    #16

It looks great!!! I love the stairs and bench to the deep end. How long is the curing process? Do you water it, too?

17. Back To Top    #17

They sent the first truck back?????? How awesome is that!!!!!!!! WOW! If only more would do that.

Have you started "bonding" with your pool aka watering it? It will help with the curing process.

Did they have any questions, concerns, ideas they wanted to ask you about?

Sure makes it real when it looks like that!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Both the PB and the Shotcrete company guys said watering it wasn't really necessary but had no problem with it if I wanted to do it. I'm planning to spray it down a couple of times a day anyway. Never thought of it as "bonding", pretty sure my wife thinks I already have an unhealthy attachment to it, LOL! Several of the people on TFP have already been great with answering questions that I had. One thing I'm getting ready to do is speak to the Electricians about adding additional outlets around the paver deck and another up high on my porch for a TV, any rough idea of typical avg cost per outlet? I'm sure it probably varies with location but just curious.

19. Back To Top    #19

Don't forget a light by the equipment pad if you do not have an outside light that will shine on it already.

No idea how much each one would cost.

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Don't forget a light by the equipment pad if you do not have an outside light that will shine on it already.

No idea how much each one would cost.

Kim
    Wish I would have thought about that...really tired of using the flashlight function on my iPhone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Matt- IG gunite pool and spa built Summer 2016: 32' x 20' overall with two 4' x 8' tanning ledges. 6'x6' attached spa with spillover. Depth 3' to 5' to 4'. 16.4K gal. Lueders Limestone retaining wall and coping. Equip: Pentair SVRS vari. speed pump. Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE filter. Pentair Kreepy Crawly Plat. cleaner. Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU NG heater. 1.5 HP spa air blower. Nature2 Sanitizer. Taylor K-206C. My 2016 Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast