Low Filter Pressure

Mickey Moose

Jul 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
Since construction of my pool my filter pressure has been very consistent when the filter is clean, low-to-mid twenties, usually mid twenties. Historically it takes about three months to build to low thrities or more. And regardless of the how much pressure has increased the filters have been cleaned every three months since new. This last time was different though. I cleaned the filter *myself* vs having my pool service (that I've had since day 1) clean it. The pressure dropped to fifteen. So I have a couple of thoughts and questions.

First, is this an indication that the pool service tech doesn't clean it as well as I did? Thus the difference in post-cleaning pressure. That could make sense since he probably is only allowed to spend X amount of time at each customer and since it's mine I'm going to put more effort into it... thus cleaning better and reducing pressure more. I have never opening the system up after the service company cleaned to inspect how well they were cleaned so I have no basis for comparison to what they looked like after I cleaned them. However, when the service company cleans them they always take before and after pictures which they provide to me. There is always a drastic difference, not unlike when I cleaned myself this last time. Pictures aren't as telling as seeing in person though.

Second, obviously the pressure after my cleaning is low relative to history. Is the difference a sign of problem? Maybe this is great. No idea.

Overall I have been happy with the service company but am building confidence to drop them in lieu of the TFP methodology.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mickey,

The pressure could vary a lot depending on how fast you are running your VS pump. It could be that you did a better job cleaning the filters, or it could be you are just running the pump at a lower speed. Low filter pressure is not normally an issue unless you have a lack of flow coming out of your returns.

I have a similar pump and filter and I normally run my pump at 1200 RPM and my filter pressure is only about 3 lbs.

I see you have the Ozone and UV set up. What else are you using to sanitize your pool water?

Jim R.

The pressure could vary a lot depending on how fast you are running your VS pump.
Good point - I should have mentioned. Pump is always running at 2500 RPM. Skimmers are clear.

I see you have the Ozone and UV set up. What else are you using to sanitize your pool water?
I don't do any maintenance myself so whatever the "standard" regimen is to keep the water in order is done by my service company. This filter cleaning was the first time I've done anything on my own. I want to change that though and drop my service company.

Mickey,

When you say the pump "always" runs at 2500 RPM, do you mean "all the time" or "all the time when checking the pressure."

The whole purpose of having a VS pump is so that you can run it at very low RPMs most of the time and at Higher RPMs only when needed.

Just a heads up in case you want to save a little money.

You don't need to answer , if you'd rather not, but I'm just curious, how much do you pay each month for your pool service?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mickey,

When you say the pump "always" runs at 2500 RPM, do you mean "all the time" or "all the time when checking the pressure."

The whole purpose of having a VS pump is so that you can run it at very low RPMs most of the time and at Higher RPMs only when needed.

Just a heads up in case you want to save a little money.

You don't need to answer , if you'd rather not, but I'm just curious, how much do you pay each month for your pool service?

Thanks,

Jim R.
My normal operation is 2500 RPM, eight hours during the day, every day of the week. Yes, I understand that's way excessive but I like to see and hear the spillway from the spa to the pool. I am here pretty much all day, every day. When the pool is being used I often max out the speed (3400? RPM)

This is all started when the pool was first finished - I don't remember for how long the pump ran. I think it was 24 hours a day for some number of days, maybe a week. I got used to the sight and sound of the spillway flowing a lot of water. I expected to see a notable difference in my electric bill and would then slow it down. But when the "big" bill never came I turned it down but only to 2500.

My pool service is $180 per month. That is full-service with exception to the quarterly filter cleanings. The filter cleaning is $100 (for 4 cleanings, not per).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.