Am I on the right track?

Jul 31, 2016
Highgate, VT
We bought our house in July with an existing above ground pool (aka swamp). I finally started tackling the thing after feeling encouraged from reading threads on TFP and learning all the things here. So thanks!

So, I've been SLAMming the pool for a good 2+ weeks now, and it has slowly been looking better and better. But I'm ready for it to be done, and everyone is impatient and wants to swim (2 weeks before that I had been pouring the bleach in, but not SLAMming it, apparently, because I messed up on the numbers, and some no-no things I shouldn't have put in it. I've learned from my mistake. ANYWAY....

Here I am today as of 1 PM
FC=19 (It was 19 last night, I added 18 oz of Cal-Hypo before bed to get it back to 24 [I was all out of liquid], this morning much of the cal hypo was still undissolved, and at 9 AM, FC was still 19. I added 18 more oz of cal hypo. Still not all dissolved by 1, but FC still the same. I'm heading to the store to get more bleach in a bit))

CC=2
CH=175
CYA=60
TA=170
PH=7.5

The water is still cloudy, but no visible debris. I've been adding a little DE to my sand filter to help clear it faster, but not appearing to do anything.

Is there anything else I should adjust at this point, or just keep SLAMming it? (my pump has been working non stop, I'm scared to see my power bill haha)

Thanks!

So, I've been SLAMming the pool for a good 2+ weeks now

Welcome to TFP! If you truly have been slamming for 2+ weeks and have accurate test results, then your pool should be clearing up. What test kit are you using? Here at TFP, we rely on accurate testing and only recommend certain test kits.

Please explain why you using Cal-Hypo and it is not dissolving. Liquid Bleach can be found locally. Outside of this, regular brushing, maintaining the SLAM level based on your CYA along with regular back washing (when needed) is all that's necessary. Your pool will clear up.

If your pool filter is slow at moving water, it could definitely take longer than normal. Most pools clear up within a few weeks and make a lot of progress. Once the SLAM is done, you should keep your pool at the minimum FC level and brush often to keep things moving along.

I can't see the bottom yet, but I let the chlorine drop a little the other day so we could get in it and kick things around just to make sure. I found the skimmer cover we were missing! Lol. But it was very clean, just cloudy. I've been vacuuming and brushing like crazy.

I've been using the TF-100 kit. I actually ran out of the chlorine testing regent the other day so had to order more. Only used cal-hypo this time because it's all I had on hand. I figured my CH was low enough it wouldn't hurt anything. But typically I've been only adding liquid bleach or 12.5%. I just got home so have some more bleach to add. I'm going to go out and test again. But i was noticing the cal hypo didn't raise my fc very fast because it takes so long to disolve.

Should you ever use cal-hypo again, please make sure it dissolves by mixing in a bucket first, brushing until you can't see it, or put it in a sock like you would for granular CYA. It's not good for your liner to have it sit undissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.