Jandy Multiport Valve vs. Jandy 2-in-1 backwash valve (BWVL-NVL)

mijmic

Silver Supporter
Nov 22, 2014
Charlotte, NC
My shotcrete pool/spa is 2 years old this summer, and, although it's functional, the spa jet action has never lived up to the action desired. Prior to commencement of the build, I had relayed my expectations to our PB in several discussions, which, of course, he assured he'd deliver as a "custom builder" with years of experience in the industry. Unfortunately, my PB failed badly in this regard, along with several other quality related matters. Unless I litigate, I'm SOL...I'll just leave it at that...

I have a slightly over 32K gallon salt system pool. All of my equipment is Jandy (Pro-Edge). As it relates to my inquiry here, these are some of the relative particulars. The filter is a DEV 60 D.E., the pump is a Stealth 2HP single speed, and the backwash valve is a Jandy 2-in-1 Neverlube (BWVL-NVL). All plumbing is 2" schedule 40 PVC, the spa has 10 jets, 2HP air blower, and the system can operate remotely with the Aqua Link RS PDA-6.

Well, here goes...while recently having a couple of unrelated matters serviced (this company also is a PB) it was mentioned that it may be possible to get more action to the jets by (by-passing) or recirculating the water so that it does not go through the filter when in spa mode. The tech advised that I could change out my existing aforementioned backwash valve for the Jandy multiport. This multiport has a "recirculation" setting as well as other beneficial settings (like rinse) that my current BWV doesn't have; as it only has backwash, waste and filter. He also mentioned possibly changing out the spa jets for smaller jets, but he didn't have the time to drain spa and look inside to see what the size of the jets were. I'm not sure of their current size either, but they're just the basic jets with single circular openings.

So, what is the feeling here? Even if it doesn't give any more action to the jets in "recirculation" the additional "rinse" setting would still be a benefit for backwashing purposes, right? Does the multiport valve restrict more flow (add more resistance/friction) than the stated BWV that I currently have? Is there any benefit of having my current BWV vs. switching to the multiport?

Thank you.

The multiport valve is great for cleaning the DE filter. The rinse feature keeps the debris from reentering your pool after you backwash. I can't believe they didn't put a multiport valve on during your build. Changing to a multiport valve as using the recirculate option shouldn't impact the feel of the spa as you will just by-pass the filter.

A dirty filter will impact the flow of water. You should backwash whenever your pressure is 25% above the clean pressure.

With the size of your pump and the size of your air blower, you should be getting a lot of action in the spa. My pump is 1HP, air blower is 1 HP and I only have four jets, but sometimes it can be a little much for me. I do have a jandy valve on the plumbing to my blower that allows me to increase/decrease the amount of air coming from the blower.

The multiport valve is very handy for several reasons, 1) it will allow you to use the waste option which helps when you have to manually vacuum and you don't want it to go to your filter, 2) you can run it on recirculate which is helpful if you need to by pass the filter (I use it in the spring after I open and won't be around to backwash), 3) waste whenever your pool is overfilled or when you get a lot of rain, 4) the close position is handy whenever you are cleaning the pump strainer basket.

Post up a photo of your spa and the spa jets. The jets usually unscrew easily and you can replace them yourself.

The multiport valve is great for cleaning the DE filter. The rinse feature keeps the debris from reentering your pool after you backwash. I can't believe they didn't put a multiport valve on during your build. Changing to a multiport valve as using the recirculate option shouldn't impact the feel of the spa as you will just by-pass the filter.

A dirty filter will impact the flow of water. You should backwash whenever your pressure is 25% above the clean pressure.

With the size of your pump and the size of your air blower, you should be getting a lot of action in the spa. My pump is 1HP, air blower is 1 HP and I only have four jets, but sometimes it can be a little much for me. I do have a jandy valve on the plumbing to my blower that allows me to increase/decrease the amount of air coming from the blower.

The multiport valve is very handy for several reasons, 1) it will allow you to use the waste option which helps when you have to manually vacuum and you don't want it to go to your filter, 2) you can run it on recirculate which is helpful if you need to by pass the filter (I use it in the spring after I open and won't be around to backwash), 3) waste whenever your pool is overfilled or when you get a lot of rain, 4) the close position is handy whenever you are cleaning the pump strainer basket.

Post up a photo of your spa and the spa jets. The jets usually unscrew easily and you can replace them yourself.

Thanks for your response. The Jandy Backwash valve I have (BWVL-NVL) does have a waste option and I do use it as you mention to drain the pool whenever the water level is too high. That is the only other option it has though, other than filter and backwash.

If I add the relative Jandy Multi-port valve, are you saying that the recirculation option (bypassing the filter) won't give any more flow/pressure to the spa jets? I have 10 jets in my spa.

My PB fouled up big time when he placed the extra set of suction drains in my pool vs. the spa. The spa was supposed to be plumbed so that the spa could have/handle its own independent pump for the desired therapeutic jet action I stressed, discussed and desired prior to the build. Unfortunately, due to my relative ignorance at the time of our build (2 years ago) I saw two drains in the spa and assumed all good. However, those two drains plumbed in tandem or series really acts as one drain as only one suction line is in the spa and plumbed back to the equipment pad. After shotcrete, my PB's shenanigans really started kicking in, and it continued throughout the remainder of the build, which included "skimming" and blatant deceitfulness.

In regards to the spa plumbing foul up, he told me at the time that they needed to change out my planned 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth spa Pump for a Polaris PB4-60 and how that application was better for the desired spa action. Although I found this 11th hr. change very odd, I had the confidence at the time that they knew what they were doing. This is a PB that pitches high end quality custom pools in business for some 20 years in the Charlotte Metropolitan area.

A day or so later (you should've seen how they rigged this, I have numerous photos...what a joke) after doing some research and seeing that the Polaris PB4-60 is used as a pressure side booster cleaner, I confronted him with this. Mind you, my pool was designed for a pressure side cleaner that doesn't require a booster pump, thus, the reason I have a Polaris 360. As you may imagine, this was, for the most part, where our relationship took a major turn for the worse. It was very difficult to trust him at all moving forward in the project, and many other quality issues arose where he was very confrontational along with using extreme profanity. It was a horror show, but I felt I was stuck since he had 95% of my money (that's how all the pool contracts worked here or so I was told...the remaining 5% had to be paid prior to Pebbletec) and that I just needed to endure this bs if this was going to get done at all. We were also approaching a high school graduation party we were throwing for our daughter, where several out of town family members and friends were coming in for.

I could go on and on, I have hundreds of photos, footage, emails, along with an electronic time stamped diary documenting the entire project and experience.

Sorry, 2 years later and I still get worked up... :mad::mad:

Back to the thread's relevance...as far as the spa jets are concerned, I'll have to do a spa drain in the future so I can get to the jets and get a few pics. I'm not sure though what's the best way to post them on this site?

Thanks again!

Are you able to isolate the flow of water to/from the spa only? If so, does it just use the booster pump to move the water? A booster pump is nothing, but a pump with the booster pump should give you plenty of flow.

If you only have a booster pump moving the water, this is the problem and not the fact that your two spa drains are tied together. The two drains are probably a safety code issue so that little ones don't get sucked down and trapped by the drain.

I am able to isolate my spa from my pool using several jandy 3 way valves. I only have one pump and when the spa is isolated, the 1HP pump is able to move a lot of water for my spa.

Pics with labels of your plumbing could be helpful.

Our spa has a separate 2Hp pump for when the jets are turned on that does not go through the filter. Nice jet action! The filter pump stays on and filters all the time when in spa mode.

Our spa has a separate 2Hp pump for when the jets are turned on that does not go through the filter. Nice jet action! The filter pump stays on and filters all the time when in spa mode.

Thanks for rubbing it in. ;):D

That's what was supposed to be done with mine too, however, my PB erred big time in the plumbing by only placing one set of drains (so only one suction line in the spa bottom that goes back to the equipment pad) vs. two. Since you're able to keep your filter pump on all the time while in spa mode, and independently turn on the separate spa pump for the jets, you must have two separate suction lines that run from your spa back to your equipment.

Are you able to isolate the flow of water to/from the spa only? If so, does it just use the booster pump to move the water? A booster pump is nothing, but a pump with the booster pump should give you plenty of flow.

If you only have a booster pump moving the water, this is the problem and not the fact that your two spa drains are tied together. The two drains are probably a safety code issue so that little ones don't get sucked down and trapped by the drain.

I am able to isolate my spa from my pool using several jandy 3 way valves. I only have one pump and when the spa is isolated, the 1HP pump is able to move a lot of water for my spa.

Pics with labels of your plumbing could be helpful.

Yes, I can isolate the flow and do so with my PDA that engages the Jandy actuators when switching from pool mode to spa mode. As you eluded, the booster pump didn't do anything but move water since there was no secondary suction line coming from the spa. My PB just concocted the plumbing where he tapped the booster pump by looping additional plumbing into the spa return line at the point after the water/flow left the heater & SWG. So, water that was already heading/returning back to the spa was cut into and plumbed into the suction part of the booster pump, and then plumbed back from the pressure side of the booster pump back into the existing spa return line. A complete joke.

With this rig being beyond ridiculous, not to mention aesthetically unpleasing, I had the entire plumbing loop taken out and removed the booster pump.

What's the best way to load pics on this site?

Thanks!

I have two main drains in the spa and never thought that one was only for the spa jets and the other for the filter pump. Not sure it they are shared or not but there is only one pipe coming out of the ground to the spa jet pump so that could be the case. I wonder if there is a way to add another pump for the jets with only one main drain.

Users that have not contributed to the website have a size limit. More details here: Posting Photo's Tutorial

You can select "insert image" as one of the options when typing or you can insert links to photos on an external site like photobucket.

FYI, if you join you can get a discount on the TF-100 if you haven't ordered the kit yet: CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

I think another website also offers discounts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have two main drains in the spa and never thought that one was only for the spa jets and the other for the filter pump. Not sure it they are shared or not but there is only one pipe coming out of the ground to the spa jet pump so that could be the case. I wonder if there is a way to add another pump for the jets with only one main drain.

I presume you have one PVC pipe coming out the ground to the spa jet pump, and another PVC pipe coming out of the ground to the filter pump. Hence, a suction line and return/pressure line for both pumps.

Adding another pump with only one main drain in the spa is what they did, but as I mentioned (plumbing loop) it was a complete bogus rig. Unfortunately, you can't just hook up another pump to the same suction line as the additional pump will place too much pressure on the plumbing. You can only push so much water through a specific size pipe (in my case 2" PVC) no matter how much HP you feed it. Ideally (as was the original plan) a separate spa jet pump when turned on in spa mode would only push water from the pump to the spa jets, so greatly limiting the head/pressure loss, etc. of going through additional equipment, i.e., the filter, heater, SWG, etc.

Users that have not contributed to the website have a size limit. More details here: Posting Photo's Tutorial

You can select "insert image" as one of the options when typing or you can insert links to photos on an external site like photobucket.

FYI, if you join you can get a discount on the TF-100 if you haven't ordered the kit yet: CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

I think another website also offers discounts.

Thanks!

I became a Silver member...once I get the related email, etc., I'll order the TF-100 and save $20.00! :)

There has to be some creative design for the plumbing that may help you. If there is any place that may find that expert that may help you that would be here. Welcome to TFP and good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.