Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water turns green for a short period of time after adding chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water turns green for a short period of time after adding chlorine?

I've seen where people describe an unusual situation where the water turns green for a short period of time after adding chlorine then clears back up. This isn't happening to me but it peaked my interest and I never saw a definate conclusion on what caused it. If I have to I'll dig up the threads. What caused that reaction?

I know copper will turn the water green and also saw where the green color could have been an illusion by adding chlorine to water with sodium bromide (which is yellowish brown against a blue background creating a green color).
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water turns green for a short period of time after adding chlorine?

Situations could vary, but in general if the water reacts to chlorine by turning green right away often times it's because of metals in the water (iron or copper). Much depends upon the amount of metal in the water, but a higher FC level might cause a more immediate or prominent reaction until the FC begins to wear-off and drop back down. The color of the pool liner, shell, or plaster could also influence what color shades are presented.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!