Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not sure if my bottom drain is working!

1. Back To Top    #1

Not sure if my bottom drain is working!

I had my first pool installed recently and I'm unsure if my bottom drain is working properly.

I think that I can feel water flowing in the pipe coming from under the pool, but I feel like the drain cover was installed incorrectly.
    It's very much like this one (Hayward). The difference is, the way mine is installed, the holes and not aligned the same way. I can only see plastic, there isn't any space.

I do have some dirt in the bottom of the pool.

sp1154av.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not sure if my bottom drain is working!

Welcome to TFP!

I don't know about the cover. What does the PB say? You should not feel much, if any, flow through your bottom drain. It is designed that way to prevent entrapment. Is there a valve at the equipment pad to isolate suction between drain and skimmers?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I do have a 4 way switch. I triple checked that and the water is flowing 50/50.

Is the bottom drain more for water circulation than for debris?

When I used my vacuum, the suction was weak. Should I switch all the suction to the skimmer before using it?

Could I use the red product to test the PH in order to see the water flow?

4. Back To Top    #4

Tim,

A picture of your equipment pad would help..

If you have a valve in front of your pump that allows you to switch between the Skimmer and the Main Drain, simply move the valve so that you are only using the main drain. If the pump continues to pull water ok then your Main Drain is working fine.

When you vacuum you should turn off the main drain and use only the skimmer. (I "assume" you are connecting your vacuum to the Skimmer and not some other port..)

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

I wouldn't go full skimmer when vacuuming. That can generate too much pressure and bust a line. I keep mine at about 1:30 to 2:00 on my valve handle, 3:00 being full skimmer, 9: being full floor drain. Anything above that, the pool vac will grab the bottom of the pool and stick, and I can really hear the pump labor from the pressure. It's not worth having to dig up your lines if in-ground.
    14,000 gallon Fox Lagoon, ingound vinyl
    PacFab Sand filter
    installed April, 2002
    Frog inline chlorinator
    Town water

6. Back To Top    #6

jw,

Good point.. I should have said "mostly" Skimmer with as little Main Drain as possible.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone, it all makes much more sense now.