Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to care for my pool after 10 inches of rain in 7 days

1. Back To Top    #1

Question How to care for my pool after 10 inches of rain in 7 days

It goes without saying that my pool chemistry (which I just got all settled and happy a few weeks ago) is now completely out of whack. We have received over 10 inches of rain in the last 7 days and have had to drain the water three times! Today is our ONE dry day before another system moves in over the weekend. Weather promises a dry out after that.

I know that I will need to add salt, correct the pH and possibly add CYA - my questions are.... what should I do first? And should I do anything today or just wait until the rain is completely gone next week?

TIA!
    30,000 gallon Salt pool w/spa, sparkle Quartz, pentair FNS Plus filter w/ Ultra UV. Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Intellifo variable speed pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump. Use Pentair screenlogic app. Austin, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How to care for my pool after 10 inches of rain in 7 days

I'll bet you aren't as bad off as you think. But, it's test first, then pH, FC next (in case your SWG hasn't been keeping up), CYA and then salt.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

As Mr. Bruce stated, you will be surprised that not much has changed. If you removed a few inches of water, the drop in your levels will be insignificant to really throw off your chemicals. My pool is half your size and the PH was not affected with a lot of rain. I did drain some water, twice due to heavy rain and have had to add water(a few times this year due to a little evaporation). From what I can gather, only CYA was affected and usually we get enough rain just to keep things moving along.

If you have test results from before and after all the rain, we would love to see how the rain affected everything. Outside of this, please follow the recommendations in which order adjustments should be made.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both.

Before the rain:
    FC: 4.4
    CC: 0.0
    pH: 7.4
    CYA: 80
    Salt: 2950

After the rain:
    FC: 6.0 (no idea how this went up)
    CC: 0.0
    pH:above 8.0
    CYA: 45
    Salt: 2550
    30,000 gallon Salt pool w/spa, sparkle Quartz, pentair FNS Plus filter w/ Ultra UV. Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Intellifo variable speed pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump. Use Pentair screenlogic app. Austin, Texas