Adding Borates - A Few Questions

Jul 18, 2015
Katy TX
I'm about to add 55 lbs of boric acid if it will ever stop raining around here. (1st time to address borates; borates are at 0-1, I need 55 lbs boric acid to get to 50 ppm borates)

With that much to add, are there any suggestions on how to broadcast it across the surface? (half the amount first then test borates, a third of the amount first then measure, brushing in between, etc...)

Would it make sense to set the filter valve to Recirculate during the process?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Just run your filter pump on high and leave it in filter mode. It dissolves before it will get sucked into the filter.

Use a plastic scoop or measuring cup of some kind (anything coffee can sized will work) and just scoop & broadcast all around the pool. Once you add about half your bucket, grab your wall brush and start brushing and mixing it up. Once the first batch dissolves, add batch number two and repeat. It's really quite easy to add, requires no pre-dilution in a bucket and dissolves fast.

Leave your pump running at whatever it's normal speed is for 24hrs then test.

Good luck.

(I measured my borates yesterday at 48ppm and needed to add 24oz of boric acid to bump it back to 50ppm)

Give it more time to mix. I've always waited 24hrs after adding boric acid to measure results. By the way, how are you testing for borates?

Well, perhaps wait another day. Not sure what method the pool store is using but, as you know, you can only trust their testing so much.

My signature has a link for a drop based titration test for boron using mannitol. I use that procedure for testing and I get fairly accurate results from it. It uses a bunch of reagents from your current test kit but you do need to purchase two more chemicals - mannitol powder and a pH indicator. The details are in the link.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.