CYA Testing

Aug 1, 2016
Clay, NY
Hey all,

I had a quick question regarding testing of CYA. I know the directions for the test state to be in full sunlight with your back to the sun, tube at waist level, etc. etc. However, when following these instructions, the 50 ppm CYA standard that came with my test read approximately 30 ppm instead of 50 ppm. I have read from a couple threads that the correct practice is to just "find a testing place where you get 50 ppm", since the standard is pretty accurate. Is this definitely the right way to treat the standard? I'm asking because I want to make sure I do the test properly, and I will likely have to test it in vastly different conditions than the directions say to get it to read 50 ppm.

Do what you can to get the standard to consistently measure 50ppm, then use that method to test the pool water.

For me, I find that with the Taylor comparator block I have to turn a bit into the sunlight to let more indirect light into the viewtube to get 50ppm with the standard, so I test the pool the same way.

Like Dom said, do, stand, look, be where you need to be to see the standard as 50. Like everything else in life it depends.......some people can see better than others so that will affect the seeing the dot.

When you are looking for the dot just GLANCE at it. Do not stare or you will see it LOL.

:kim:

Using the 50ppm standard, find out what 50 looks like and use that. If YOU still see some black dot, that's OK as long as you are consistent in how you "see" the results that's all that matters.

"When you are looking for the dot just GLANCE at it. Do not stare or you will see it LOL."

Thank you for saying this. I hadn't heard this part of the test before - so it always feels like I'm staring at one of those magic eye pictures, and I just keep seeing that black dot forever it seems. I'm anxious to go test my CYA now with this tip and see what I get.

If you're making it turn out 50 no matter what, how do you know what the actual reading is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the CYA standard solution is an exact composition. The standard is made up in a lab where they precisely measure out the CYA to get a 50 mg/L concentration. Since you know the "answer" before doing the test, then you need to modify the lighting condition so that the test matches the known answer.

Once you find the test conditions that produces the correct answer, then all subsequent testing on "unknown" samples should be performed in exactly the same manner.

Ah. I don't think my test had a standard so I didn't realize such a thing existed. Makes perfect sense, thx. Having trouble measuring my own cya from my pool water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the TF-100 kits from TFTestkits earlier this year were shipped with the Taylor R-7065 50ppm CYA standard reagent. However, because of the round view tube, many testers were reporting that they could not get the standard to show as 50ppm, more like 40ppm at best. So they decided not to include it anymore.

You're welcome to order some on your own (you can get it on Amazon) to see if it helps optimize your testing routine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.