Erika Riley - Burned lights

Aug 10, 2016
issaquah, wa
My hardwired underwater pool light keeps burning out. I put in a new bulb, works great for just a couple months (with very little use even then) and they die. Breaker is working, toggle light switch is working. Doesn't seem that this lightbulb should have an extraordinarily shorter lifespan than any other bulb? They aren't all that easy to replace either! Anyone have a trick for that too?? ;)

Re: underwater lightbulb keeps burning out

What is the make and model light fixture and the bulb you are using?

When you replace it do you replace the gasket also? Has there been water in the fixture?

Is there a GFCI on the circuit?

How old is the fixture?

Have you opened the junction box and made sure all the connections are tight?

My hardwired underwater pool light keeps burning out. I put in a new bulb, works great for just a couple months (with very little use even then) and they die. Breaker is working, toggle light switch is working. Doesn't seem that this lightbulb should have an extraordinarily shorter lifespan than any other bulb? They aren't all that easy to replace either! Anyone have a trick for that too?? ;)

these are very different beasts compared to normal incandescent light bulbs- they work in very overloaded mode 'assuming' the water is always present around its enclosure. It will simply burn out if you turn it on outside of water.

Short to ground would trip the gfci.

What exact bulb are you using?

Measure volts and amps at the junction box to see what that shows.

What light do you have (make model)?

Regular floodlights won't survive in a pool fixture, Try a bulb rated for use in a swimming pool fixture, They are different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.