Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Erika Riley - Burned lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Erika Riley - Burned lights

My hardwired underwater pool light keeps burning out. I put in a new bulb, works great for just a couple months (with very little use even then) and they die. Breaker is working, toggle light switch is working. Doesn't seem that this lightbulb should have an extraordinarily shorter lifespan than any other bulb? They aren't all that easy to replace either! Anyone have a trick for that too??
    20,000 gal outdoor in-ground kidney-shaped, plaster pool; Purex Triton Clean & Clear pump, cartridge filters, Jandy Lite 2 heater, K2006 Test Kit, built 1978, Seattle, WA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: underwater lightbulb keeps burning out

What is the make and model light fixture and the bulb you are using?

When you replace it do you replace the gasket also? Has there been water in the fixture?

Is there a GFCI on the circuit?

How old is the fixture?

Have you opened the junction box and made sure all the connections are tight?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Riley View Post
    My hardwired underwater pool light keeps burning out. I put in a new bulb, works great for just a couple months (with very little use even then) and they die. Breaker is working, toggle light switch is working. Doesn't seem that this lightbulb should have an extraordinarily shorter lifespan than any other bulb? They aren't all that easy to replace either! Anyone have a trick for that too??
    these are very different beasts compared to normal incandescent light bulbs- they work in very overloaded mode 'assuming' the water is always present around its enclosure. It will simply burn out if you turn it on outside of water.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Short to ground would trip the gfci.

What exact bulb are you using?

Measure volts and amps at the junction box to see what that shows.

What light do you have (make model)?

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Regular floodlights won't survive in a pool fixture, Try a bulb rated for use in a swimming pool fixture, They are different.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

6. Back To Top    #6

Does the light fixture show any signs of damage (corrosion, melting etc.)?

How old is the light?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot View Post
    Regular floodlights won't survive in a pool fixture, Try a bulb rated for use in a swimming pool fixture, They are different.
    IMO, this is most probable cause- use of a bulb not rated to be installed in the pool light.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit