Hubs finally said YES!

kmc_78

Aug 11, 2016
Ontario, OH
Hello all! My name is Kelly and I live in Ohio. I've finally convinced the husband that our family needs a pool! So I'm starting the searching process to buy soon. We're looking at an above ground 21'-24'. Are there particular brands that are better than others? Something we should make sure to get? I've been reading threads for over a week now and I think I'm more confused than I was before. lol I appreciate any guidance you can offer! Thanks!!

While you're looking, look at the Radiant Metric. It's rock solid, insulated, and it was an entirely DIY project for us.

Our 20' Intex was great but we always had to avoid the walls because sticks and a bag don't inspire all that much confidence. Moving to the 21' Radiant gave us a lot more than one foot of usable space because now we can swim and play all the way out to the walls. We don't have to take it down for the winter, all we have to do is drain water below the plumbing and put a cover on- so opening the pool is just taking the cover off and dropping a hose in.

The thick, insulated walls also cut down on heat loss amazingly. With our Intex, solar heating panels were a must. This year my permanent panel install (basically in a large cold frame) has been so back-burnered that we haven't had them hooked up at all. I'm still going to finish it because fall's coming, but the pool just isn't cold in the summer like it used to be. The panels are going to extend the season instead of making the middle part of it tolerable.

Hi and welcome to the club.....
We just installed an above ground pool and I walked the ground you are now walking.

1. We went with The Great Escape for our pool purchase.
They offer 0% interest financing for 1-5 years. We NEVER borrow money to pay for toys, but free money is a no brainier. AND, if you can pay without financing you'll save even more.....about $500-$600 of the best price you are able to negotiate
Great Escape beat EVERY other store by A LOT. They are the largest seller of above ground pools in the nation, so they have buying power.

2. We were going to get a 24' also...we had the yard for a bigger pool and decided to go with a 27'. It's huge and we are so glad we did go bigger....the price difference was about $200. You're getting a lot more pool for just a little more money. I think it added $6 to our payment.

3. We went with the brand, Aqua Leader. It is an Elegance model (all resin). It's near the top of the line of the pools they carry. The one pool that is supposedly better didn't appeal to us visually.

In all, we got the pool, the highest grade accessory package, an upgraded 2 speed pump and installation and materials for $4400 out the door. It's easy to spend someone else's money but get what you want....no matter what, a pool is a discretionary, luxury item so get what you want. Try not to get caught up in saving a few bucks only to regret it over the next 10-15 years you own the pool. Literally, we started out looking at a 24' middle of road pool.....we ended up with a 27' full resin, almost top of line pool and our monthly payment with 0% interest was not a whole lot more per month than what it would have been with the smaller, middle grade pool package.

Thanks all!!

Hi and welcome to the club.....
We just installed an above ground pool and I walked the ground you are now walking.

1. We went with The Great Escape for our pool purchase.
They offer 0% interest financing for 1-5 years. We NEVER borrow money to pay for toys, but free money is a no brainier. AND, if you can pay without financing you'll save even more.....about $500-$600 of the best price you are able to negotiate
Great Escape beat EVERY other store by A LOT. They are the largest seller of above ground pools in the nation, so they have buying power.

2. We were going to get a 24' also...we had the yard for a bigger pool and decided to go with a 27'. It's huge and we are so glad we did go bigger....the price difference was about $200. You're getting a lot more pool for just a little more money. I think it added $6 to our payment.

3. We went with the brand, Aqua Leader. It is an Elegance model (all resin). It's near the top of the line of the pools they carry. The one pool that is supposedly better didn't appeal to us visually.

In all, we got the pool, the highest grade accessory package, an upgraded 2 speed pump and installation and materials for $4400 out the door. It's easy to spend someone else's money but get what you want....no matter what, a pool is a discretionary, luxury item so get what you want. Try not to get caught up in saving a few bucks only to regret it over the next 10-15 years you own the pool. Literally, we started out looking at a 24' middle of road pool.....we ended up with a 27' full resin, almost top of line pool and our monthly payment with 0% interest was not a whole lot more per month than what it would have been with the smaller, middle grade pool package.

Rolodetective - did your install include ground prep and electrical or did you have to prepare/arrange that yourself? We're headed to our closest Great Escape on Saturday to take a look, thank you for the suggestion!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.